On Feb. 19, 1994, Gloria Ramirez was admitted into the ER at the Riverside General Hospital in Riverside, California. She was in the late stages of cervical cancer and was suffering from an elevated heartbeat and abnormal breathing patterns. She was also very confused. Hospital staff noticed she was covered in an oily sheen, and a garlic-like odor was coming from her mouth. Upon drawing blood, they noticed an ammonia-like smell radiating from the tube, and odd particles floating in her blood.
Then several members of the hospital staff treating Ramirez became ill and passed out. An evacuation of the hospital was ordered, while a skeleton crew continued treating Ramirez. Twenty-three people fell ill, with five of them requiring hospitalization. The official cause of death was ruled as kidney failure. After an investigation, there were many theories and hypotheses for what happened, but no concrete evidence.