2. The campaign shows women reclaiming remarks others have made about their bodies, specifically in relation to what clothing would be most “flattering” on them.
SmartGlamour owner Mallorie Dunn found her models by putting out a call for women who had been on the receiving end of such unsolicited comments. She says she received “tons upon tons” of responses.
3. As Dunn points out, “flattering” is a loaded word.
“The word flattering, as a stand alone, is not a bad one,” Dunn says on her blog. “The definition is pleasing or gratifying… But [now, contextually] having ‘flattering clothing’ basically means, ‘That makes you look thin.’
“Specifically in the land of women, we are told every day – subconsciously and blatantly – that we should be smaller. We should have no visible fat, cellulite, or imperfections.”
5. “I have a long scar on my back from scoliosis surgery,” Liz Richards, who took part in the campaign, tells BuzzFeed Life. “Once at the gym a woman told me I should put a shirt on (I was in a sports bra) because ‘Nobody wants to look at that.’”
“I was so embarrassed I just left, and it’s made me very conscious of how my back is exposed with what I wear… [but] I think what [Dunn] is doing to help women embrace their bodies and what makes them unique is just incredible.”
7. “Put the ‘girls’ away,” the comment Mikaela Lynn Johnson chose to highlight, is particularly telling of how women’s bodies and wardrobes are disproportionately policed.
Johnson tells BuzzFeed Life, “This campaign … has given me an opportunity to revisit judgments others have expressed about my body and say, ‘That’s not about me.’”
- Neilson Rizzuto has been identified as the suspected drunk driver who drove a truck into a crowd at Mardi Gras and injured over a dozen.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," and "Aliens."
- Moderate to severe coral bleaching continues to affect the Great Barrier Reef almost a year after the worst bleaching crisis in history.
- Tonight at 8:30pm ET, BuzzFeed is celebrating the biggest night in Hollywood, the Oscars, with a live show and tipsy game of bingo 🏆🍹