If you're looking for a new phone, you may have heard that Samsung announced their newest Android smartphones, the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. 🆕📱
Because the phones have cool features but are also expensive AF, you are probably suffering from upgrade indecision.
I got to play with both the S7 and S7 Edge — and now I have some thoughts.
Until then, here are my ~feels~ based on my time with the new Galaxies.
1. The autofocus is IMPRESSIVELY fast.
2. The "always-on display" is pretty cool.
3. Even my tiny hands can hold the biggish S7 Edge comfortably.
4. Speaking of the display, it's the same resolution as the previous model.
Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful – but Samsung hasn't updated this aspect of the phone.
If you care about numbers, here goes: the S7 has a 2560 x 1440 display with 577 pixels per inch (ppi), just like the Galaxy S6. The S7 Edge has the same resolution, but its pixel density is a bit less because of the larger screen size (534 ppi).
5. Hooray! It's toilet-proof again!
6. The devices are waterproofed from the inside, which means no port plugs.
7. The edge panel is kind of meh.
8. The microSD slot has also returned!!
9. The design *does* feel nicer in very subtle ways.
At first glance, it's easy to look at the S7 and say, "Wait, is that an S6?" The design upgrades only reveal themselves upon closer inspection. The camera looks more like it's a part of the device and less like it's a pimple just waiting to be popped.
These changes are extremely subtle and may only be of interest if you are a freak like me. Is it worth the upgrade for an unprotruding camera alone? Probablyyyyyyy not.