You probably already know that donating your blood can help to change someone else's life, but did you know you'll even get a text message telling you when and where the NHS gave your donation to someone in need? How cool!
If you've never done it before, the process can seem a bit of a mystery (and maybe even a little bit scary). To help you get ready to donate, we've detailed everything that will happen before, during, and after your appointment.
1. The first thing you'll do is sign up to the blood registry, which is actually super easy.
2. Once you've registered, you can search for an appointment at your nearest donation centre.
3. When the big day rolls around, you'll need to prepare by eating a big, yummy meal — so choose your favourite!
4. In what is the most 2020 sentence of all time: Don't forget your mask!
5. Once you arrive, you'll be asked to fill out a donor health check questionnaire.
6. A friendly donor carer will call you over for a quick chat and will test your iron levels.
7. You'll be beckoned over to your throne (aka the donation chair).
8. Now's the time to sit back, relax, and donate.
9. If you're a speed demon, you can do some easy exercises to donate even faster.
10. Ding, ding, ding – you're done!
11. After donating you'll be ask to relax for 15 minutes. This is your chance to raid the amazing snacks!
12. As long as you feel A-OK, you're free to go home!
13. And the bit that will make you feel like a real hero: getting *the* text.
Giving blood is a small act that can make a big impact to someone else's life. If you want to donate, sign up to the registry at blood.co.uk and prepare to become a hero.
Additional imagery from Getty Images / iStock.