1. Watching a movie while there's food cooking in the kitchen.
2. Leaving a candle unattended.
3. Microwaving certain plastics.
4. Overloading a power strip.
5. Not cleaning out your washer and dryer regularly.
6. Overlooking manufacturer’s instructions for electrical appliances.
7. Using a fireplace incorrectly.
8. Handling electric appliances with wet hands.
9. Letting grease accumulate around the stove.
10. Using lightbulbs that don’t match the lamp’s recommended wattage.
Illustrations by Lyla Ribot for BuzzFeed
It’s time to expect more from your smoke alarm. Let Nest Protect be your guide.
Disclaimer: In case of an actual emergency, please contact a medical professional, legal professional, or your mother. Literally anyone and anything besides this list.