This is Charlie.
Charlie is TODAY's puppy with a purpose, and besides having an adorable wet nose, he's pretty special too. Charlie is from America's VetDogs and is training to be a guide and service dog to a veteran or first responder. Go Charlie!
Even service pups in training get a little stinky, so it was time for him to head to our sponsor Petsmart for a bath. This is what we learned.
1. Start grooming your dog at an early age.
2. When trimming their nails, avoid the nerve.
3. Wipe out their ears with a mild ear wash.
4. Human toothpaste is for humans, not dogs.
5. Use specific tools that match your dog's fur type.
6. Don't let water get in your dog's ears.
7. Brush your dog daily.
8. Give your dog a bath every four to six weeks.
If at-home grooming is a struggle, take your dog to visit one of the professional groomers at Petsmart!
Watch the whole TODAY segment for more grooming tips and learn about America's VetDogs, a not-for-profit organization that trains and places guide and service dogs to provide independence, enhanced mobility, and companionship to disabled veterans and first responders.
All images courtesy of NBC’s TODAY and Petsmart