When it comes to sex, variety is a ~wonderful~ thing.
And in 2015, there was a lot of that going around — from innovations in sex toys and medicine to a ton of sex-positive people, books, and podcasts. Here are a few of the many great things from 2015 that made some people’s sex lives better (or at least more informed).
2. First Person, the YouTube series from PBS about gender identity and sexuality.
There are 20 episodes so far, covering topics like asexuality, bisexuality erasure, gender binaries, and so, so much more. You can find all of the episodes here.
10. The BuzzFeed Health Sex Q&A series.
At the risk of sounding self-promotional: this series of clear, expert-informed answers to reader-submitted questions can teach you more about sex and sexuality than any sex ed class will. You can read them all here, but here are some highlights:
11. Women on Sex, a YouTube series that features African women talking frankly about sex and the culture around sex.
There are six videos in the series so far, which you can watch here. The short episodes cover orgasms, sex and power, and virginity, among other topics.
13. HuffPost’s Love + Sex Podcast, which covers tons of random topics around sex and sexuality.
They ask one question per week, then talk to experts about it. Some favorites: how bodyweight affects sex, discussions about sexual fluidity and open relationships, how sex would work in space, and an episode on sex after 70. You can listen to all of the episodes on SoundCloud here.
14. The graphic novel Girl Sex 101.
An inclusive sex ed guidebook that goes in depth about female sexual anatomy. You can get it for $24.99 here.
15. Learning about HPV, orgasms, pubic hair styles, and so much more in the BuzzFeed series Hillary Has Questions.
Watch all the episodes here.
16. The book The Women on My Couch by Brandy Engler, Ph.D.
Engler is a sex and relationship therapist working in New York and L.A. This is her second book (her first was The Men on My Couch), and it tells the stories of women and their struggles with sex and relationships. BuzzFeed Life talked to her about some of the most common reasons people see her, which you can read here.
17. And, uh, the Ovipositor.
OK so it’s actually been around for a few years, but a 2015 Vice article made this a hot topic for a few days. In case you’re wondering, it’s a dildo that gives you the sensation of having alien eggs laid inside you. But while this is a thing that exists, we haven’t talked to a doctor about whether or not it’s actually safe to put a gelatinous egg in your orifices — so, you know, use your best judgment.
Is there a new book, podcast, product, or something else that changed your sex life this year? Tell us in the comments!
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.