55 Incredibly Clever DIYs You'll Actually Want To Try
:: pins immediately ::
1. Sketch a cute design onto white teacups using a ceramic marker, then bake to set it.
2. Etch a custom design or name into a glass dish to give to a friend.
3. Easily write on a cake by tracing out the words with a toothpick first.
4. Repaint a classic blue cooler and cover the lid with contact paper to make it look fresh.
5. Cover the inside of a tray with food-safe chalkboard paint to make a handy platter for dinner parties.
6. Hot glue a stone (or a small toy, or idk, acorns) to a cork to make an instant stylish bottle stopper.
7. Melt crayons and birthday candles into molds to create bright and colorful custom candles.
8. Mod Podge fabric to the back of clear glass plates to make salad plates that no one's ever seen before.
There are as many options out there as there are cotton fabrics — which means, a lot. Here's the tutorial.
9. Customize colorful napkins by doodling on them with bleach pens, which you can get at the grocery store.
10. Pick a color, any color, and make cake stands that match your cakes.
11. Strategically cut and fold a clean, empty milk jug to make a re-useable sandwich container.
12. Shrink your own emoji lapel pins (that you decorate with Sharpies).
13. Tie embroidery thread into colorful tassels to dress up your tote bags.
14. Glue a strip of copper to an earring back to make a minimalist earring for a third of the price.
15. Strategically stitch up a placemat to make a quick, stylish clutch.
16. Paint an old plastic bangle to look like a donut.
17. Attach scraps of leather or other accent fabric to the worn down parts of your favorite shoes to make them new again.
18. And if you need to clean them first, use a paste of water, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide.
19. Customize your favorite fabric shoes by stitching simple designs onto them.
20. Dunk an old pair of shorts or shirt into a tub of bleach to give them a new look.
21. Upcycle a magazine into free and easy nail art.
22. Stick a piece of adhesive glitter vinyl to a clear phone case to make it less boring.
23. Hot glue a raffia pom pom to a shoe clip to cover any pair of flats or heels in color.
24. Stencil your house number onto a doormat using a (big) permanent marker.
You could also stencil your family's initials, or a (kind!) four-letter word. Here's the tutorial.
25. Dress up the top of the standard issue Ikea Lack table to make it look a little nicer.
26. Make your own faux molding using grosgrain ribbon.
27. Paint polka dots on an empty, clean pickle jar and use it as a vase for your favorite blooms.
28. Rip out the bag in your college laundry hamper, flip it over, and turn it into a side table.
Right?!? Here's how to do it.
29. Glue pretty seashells to the front of a wood-frame mirror to make a classic seashell mirror.
30. Screw hooks into an inexpensive tray so you never have to pull out your phone to remember the date.
31. Tape a piece of scrapbook paper around a vase to make it look expensive (or to make it match your decor)!
32. Create your own hot-glued rope basket by attaching it around and around and around a steel tub.
33. Fill empty liquor bottles with lighter fluid to turn them into outdoor torches.
34. Hang simple fabric window shades using a few screws and a couple pieces of wood.
You could even cut up a cheap shower curtain to use as the fabric. Here's the tutorial.
35. Loop elastic through the weave on your picnic basket to make stable (and pretty!) silverware holders on the inside.
36. Glue pom poms onto a pillow case to make a boring cushion decorative.
37. Mount sliding picture frames in front of your TV so it's not an eyesore whenever you have visitors.
Just make sure you really read the directions for this one, so you get it right — they're here.
38. Mod Podge your favorite fabric onto a circle of cork to make a mousepad you can't find in a store.
39. Hot glue a few yards of fringe to your patio umbrella to give it a vintage vibe.
40. Add all the ingredients you need for fresh lemonade to a pitcher, then gift it as a housewarming present.
41. Turn a shoebox into a projector for your phone, so everyone can see the latest cat video.
Whoa. Here's how.
42. Use paint chips and an empty cork board to make a calendar of many colors.
43. Cut out two shapes from two different bathmats and use iron-on adhesive to make them stick together.
44. Turn your old magazines into pretty, colorful package bows.
A cute way to make Christmas so much greener and cheaper. Here's the tutorial.