25 Easy Backyard Upgrade Ideas That Actually Cost $50 Or Less
Simple improvements you can make on the cheap!
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Install rope lights around your porch or patio (or on your trees!) so you can enjoy warm spring and summer evenings long after the sun goes down.
3. Spend weekends and evenings playing ~Yardzee~ — even if your yard's on the small side, you'll be surprised how quickly the hours go by!
4. Hang a hummingbird feeder to attract the gorgeous little birdies to your yard, even if you don't have so much of a green thumb.
6. Turn crates on their end to make handy end tables — and to age them, all you need is a spray bottle, coffee, and some vinegar and steel wool.
7. Treat cheap yard sale lawn furniture to a coat of metallic spray paint to make it look like you spent hundreds of dollars on it.
8. Transform your hose and sprinkler into a hands-free ~sprinkler system~ with a programmable timer — all you have to do is tell it when to water, how long to water, and how often to repeat.
9. Scatter a bunch of wildflower seeds for a low-maintenance but still stunningly gorgeous flower bed... or go all-out and turn your yard into a meadow.
10. Repurpose a few wine bottles as prettier tiki torches that also just might help repel mosquitos.
11. Or get a small glass fireplace — it looks gorgeous sitting on any tabletop, and is perfect for a two-person s'mores party!
12. Hang some outdoor curtains on your shaded porch or pergola and it'll feel like your own private little cabana.
13. No porch cover to speak of? Hang a shade sail instead — depending on your situation, it takes very little effort to install.
15. Secure rock climbing holds to a playhouse or a side wall and instantly become parent (or aunt!) of the week.
16. Turn an old tire into a tetherball station with some quick-setting concrete and a tall, sturdy pole.
19. Break down a pallet or other reclaimed wood to build a garden pathway in record time.
20. Pick up some cinder blocks and 2x4s to make a quick and sturdy potting bench.
21. Spray paint circles in lawns make for epic and hilarious Lawn Twister.
...or the perfect Instagram opportunities. (Of course, this hammock also gets the thumbs-up for good naps.)
23. Or try some zero-gravity chairs — they adjust to a full reclining position so you genuinely feel supported and relaxed from head to toe. (Plus they have handy trays to hold your drink and snacks!)
24. Store your bar accessories on a sturdy rolling cart so you can bring everything outside in one go.
25. Put up a set of wind chimes because they'll sing you a calming, relaxing melody day in and day out.
You, feeling like a ~movie star~ in your backyard all summer long:
The reviews in this post have been edited for length and clarity.