Born in 1990 in LA, YG has been partnered up with DJ Mustard since 2008. Mustard was then just a plain-old DJ, but he’s now a highly sought-after producer (he had three Top 10 singles at urban radio last year alone). Since joining forces, the two have worked together to reinvent party rap, stripping it of everything but keyboard plinks, throbbing bass, and the indomitable spirit of house singer Robin S.
4. The video is one big house party.
“Who Do You Love” is all about YG finding out his girl has been cheating on him, and responding by heading out to hang with his boys and some new friends.
The video shoot party was real, not just for show, YG explained over the phone. But it didn’t go down at YG’s real house: “That ain’t my house! It’s just some video house in Malibu. But we had a real party at that motherfucking house.”
5. YG jumps when Drake walks in.
“The video shoot was my first time partying with Drake in real life, but Drake is cool,” YG said. “Drake got the bitches — of course he’s a fun guy to hang out with — he got the bitches!”
6. Drake bugs out for his verse.
7. And throws up the W for the West Coast.
8. YG pops a bottle like, “Oh shit.”
“Who grows up out of partying? When you get way older, maybe,” he said. “But that’s what we do: we make music and we party. I was partying before I was making music, that’s why I make music, because I know what people want to hear when they’re partying.”
9. Then Drake holds him back when he starts to get into it with another guy.
10. Of course, YG’s homie DJ Mustard is also in the building.
12. But this party is all about YG and Drake — just look at them bopping.
13. By the end of the night, they’re kind of faded. Drake is toasting YG, sticking his tongue out a little so you know it’s real.
15. Watch YG and Drake’s “Who Do You Love” video:
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌