1. Wednesday, Angie Martinez resigned from New York’s Hot 97.
Hot 97, which is owned by Emmis Communications, was turned into New York’s first hip-hop station in 1993 by a newly hired program director, Steve Smith. During the transition, Martinez was the 18-year-old assistant to the station’s general manager, Judy Ellis, who decided, along with Smith, that Angie — Puerto Rican, with a Brooklyn accent — was a better voice than any radio vet for the young, white, black, Latino, and Asian New York audience they wanted to build, so they put her on the air as an overnight host. “I was the girl that was dressed like TLC. There weren’t many people like me in the building. So they’re like, So what do you wanna do? I was like, in heaven,” she told BuzzFeed in April.
3. “WQHT HOT 97 FM confirms the departure of Angie Martinez,” Hot 97 wrote in a statement.
“Angie has given over 20 years of service to the HOT 97 brand, where she exemplified professionalism and passion for music. We thank her deeply for her commitment to Hip Hop, radio, and broadcasting.”
4. A tweet featuring smiling emojis from Hot 97’s rival station, Clear Channel-owned Power 105.1, suggests that Martinez may take her popular afternoon show to their station.
5. On Wednesday, a spokesperson for Power 105.1 declined to comment.
6. Martinez’s co-workers have begun saying their goodbyes:
8. On Thursday, June 19, Clear Channel confirmed that Angie would join Power 105.1 in New York and 103.5 The Beat in Miami.
“Angie is the Queen of New York City radio she is an incredible talent who continues to blaze trails and we are excited to have her join the team at Power 105.1 and The Beat in Miami,” wrote Thea Mitchem, Clear Channel’s Senior Vice President of Programming of Major Markets, in a press release.
Martinez will replace 105.1’s DJ Prostyle on weekday afternoons. He’ll move to middays, hosting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- At least 59 people were killed in an overnight militant attack at a police center in Quetta, Pakistani officials say.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏