1. Meet Macklemore.
2. His song “Same Love” won the Video Music Award for “Best Video with a Social Message.”
Some, like rapper Le1f, don’t like the idea of Macklemore (who is straight) and other would-be allies becoming a voice for the LGBT community when LGBT people are fully capable of speaking up and rapping for themselves.
4. She’s a young genius who’s previously described herself as pansexual.
Last year, she told The Guardian that “Love is boundary-less. If you can make me feel, if you can make me laugh – and that’s hard – then I can be with you. I don’t care if you have a vagina or if you’re a hermaphrodite or whatever.”“
6. I mean…
At age 13 my mother knew I wasn’t straight
she didn’t understand but she had so much to say
she sat me on the couch looked me straight in my face
and said you’ll burn in hell or probably die of AIDS
it’s funny now but at 13 it was pain
to be almost sure of who you are and have it ripped away
and i’m sorry if it’s too real for some of you to fathom
but hate for who you love is not exactly what you’d imagine
and i guess it was disastrous
cause everything that happened afterwards was just madness
locked away for two years to keep me on the inside
because she’d rather see a part of me die than me thrive
and it’s tougher when it’s something you can’t deny
and ignorance teaches us it’s something that you decide
you’re driven by your choice is an optical illusion
here’s to understanding that it’s not always confusion
Now that’s a coming out story. No third grade nonsense necessary.
8. Haze later shatters conventional labels while quoting queer poet Andrea Gibson:
No i’m not gay
No i’m not straight
And i sure as hell am not bisexual dammit
I am whoever I am when I am it
Loving whoever you are when the stars shine
And whoever you’ll be when the sun rise
- The White House continued to defend rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Republican members of Congress face angry town halls flooded with voters opposing Obamacare repeal and other parts of the Trump agenda.
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos defended the Trump administration rescinding transgender protections, despite reports she opposed the effort.