Loaded Queso Potato Bake
5 large Russet potatoes
5½ cups shredded cheese (cheddar/Jack)
4½ cups whole milk
5½ teaspoons cornstarch
3 teaspoons salt, divided
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
½ teaspoon cumin
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ yellow onion finely chopped
2 pounds lean ground turkey (or beef)
1½ tablespoons olive oil
Green onions (garnish)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel and slice potatoes (about ¼“ thick), then boil until tender (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, saute onions and peppers until soft (about 5 minutes), and set aside.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook with 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne and cumin. Heat until turkey is cooked through (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, toss shredded cheese with cornstarch until well coated. Place over medium-high heat and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Add ½ milk and incorporate into cheese, continuing to cook and stir. Add milk until completely incorporated and queso is smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining 1½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon cayenne. Remove from heat.
- In a cast-iron skillet or baking dish, pour about ½ cup of queso, top with a layer of potatoes, then top with peppers and onions, followed by turkey. Add another ½ cup of queso, then continue with another layer of potatoes, peppers and onions, and turkey. Finish with a layer of potatoes and cover with remaining queso and shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25–30 minutes or until bubbly and brown.