9 Negotiating Tips Millennials Need To Be Reminded About Over And Over Again
It's all about psychology.
Negotiating for a raise, promotion, or even a job is one of the most uncomfortable parts of being a working professional.
1. The first rule of negotiation: Actually do it!
2. Second of all, do a pre-negotiation by figuring out what a "win" looks like for your manager.
3. Don't assume your manager is negotiating in your favor, and be your own strongest advocate.
4. Be comfortable with awkwardness — because your manager probably is.
5. If you’re an introvert, or have a hard time standing up for yourself, imagine you’re a lawyer advocating for yourself.
6. ...And if you have family, just pretend you're advocating for them.
7. Try to stray from the word "negotiation."
8. Keep your impostor syndrome — and your negative self-talk — in check.
9. And finally, if your manager says "No," just see it as part of the overall conversation.
You can check out Kwame Christian's FREE negotiation guides here.
You'll just need to input your email address to get access.