Make-ahead meals can be a lifesaver.
Cooking up a big batch of something and freezing the leftovers means weeknight meal prep — just reheat and eat — can often be done in minutes. Doubling or tripling recipes means you’ll be able to buy in bulk and save a couple bucks. And freezing perishable items means you’ll waste less, too.
(*Note that for all hot foods listed below, you’ll want to let them cool completely before tossing them in the freezer. Find this and more tips for properly freezing foods here.)
1. Freezable Oatmeal Cups
So simple: Just spoon oatmeal into a muffin tin, then sprinkle on your favorite toppings — like berries, nuts, or granola. Get the recipe.
The trick to making sure they don’t stick together when stored? Freeze everything first in separate layers before stuffing them into a Ziploc. Find easy, step-by-step instructions here. (Also, this recipe uses boxed pancake mix, but feel free to sub in your favorite homemade version.)
4. Blueberry Green Smoothie
Better known as: How to make sure all that fruit you bought — it was on sale! — doesn’t wander into overripe territory. Get the recipe.
6. Vegan and Gluten-Free Waffles
9. Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
11. Chipotle Chicken Chili
14. Slow Cooker Orange-Ginger Chicken
Find this 30-minute recipe — along with five more — here.
18. Single-Serving Pasta
You could make a huge batch of pasta and then eat it every day until it dries out. ORRR you could split it up, freeze it, and have a ready-to-go weeknight dinner. (This version pre-freezes the noodles on baking sheets, so that they don’t stick together later in the bags.) Instructions here.
22. Homemade Biscuits
Recipe here. Make a stack of these, then top them with…
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The US Commission on Civil Rights will visit the campsite where people have protested the Dakota Access Pipeline for months.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crash apples with their bare hands 🍎💪