38 Things For Anyone Who No Longer Wants Filth As A Roommate
Because your current roommates are bad enough...
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A mold and mildew remover because you can set it, forget it, and come back in a few hours to see grout that looks like new. If your brain is filled with images of your dirty shower grout every time you close your eyes and try to relax...you definitely need this.
Promising review: "You guys. I’m embarrassed to even show you this. The grout around our tub was DISGUSTING. It was never caulked right and it got gross very quickly. I would scrub. The cleaning lady would scrub. It would get worse. Well, I came across this in a BuzzFeed list, and this stuff made me curious. I don’t know why it doesn’t have 10,000 good reviews. Seriously. All I did was squeeze it on and walk away. I let it sit overnight. Check this out. Buy it. Like today." —KarynB
Get it from Amazon for $13.99.
2. A bleach-free, no-scrub weekly shower spray so soap scum and shower grime buildup goes bye bye without you ever having to wipe. Rinse it clean the next day, and you'll be amazed to see those hard water stains on your shower door are *poof* gone.
Promising review: "We cannot BEGIN to tell you what a lifesaver this is! We have two old fiberglass tubs with vinyl shower enclosures that no matter what amount of scrubbing we have done with everything from bleach to cleanser to vinegar and baking soda would NOT come clean. After I took my shower last night, I sprayed down the tub and walls. Within minutes, all the built-up water deposits and dirt and grime began to melt away in front of my eyes. I left it on overnight, and when I got up this morning, it did not look like the same tub and shower. This product is a godsend, especially for old folks like us who have difficulty getting down on our hands and knees and scrubbing anything. More importantly, it performs as advertised. We plan on using it as part of our weekly cleanup routine, in addition to purchasing the Wet and Forget Mold and Mildew Remover for use on the vinyl siding of our house. This is truly an overnight sensation!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $16.89+ (available in packs of one, two, three, and four)
3. A drain clog remover that'll conquer the hair monster in your shower drain, simultaneously impressing and disgusting you. Or you can let the hair glob remain in the pipes and at some point your shower will turn into a bath. Fun!
Promising review: "When I pulled the orange plastic spiked strip from the package, I was immediately skeptical and felt like all those 5-star reviews were from people who exist in an alternate universe. I was tempted to initiate a return on Amazon but decided that I might as well gamble on a piece of $9 plastic before gambling $200 on a plumber. I slipped the plastic strip down my shower drain and literally FIVE SECONDS LATER I was pulling up gobs and gobs and gobs of hair. HOLY COW!!!!!!!! OHMYGOSH. I can't believe I still have any hair left on my head. SO MUCH REPULSIVE GUNK!!!! I saved my prize hairball on the shower floor to show my husband because I knew he would be as skeptical as I was. We both agree it looks like a small raccoon or a large squirrel lying helplessly on my shower floor. It's a grisly, messy, smelly and oh-so-rewarding job." —Chocolate and Chips
Get a six-pack from Amazon for $8.58.
4. An air purifier for anyone who's felt personally victimized by seasonal allergies. This bad boy removes dander, mold, dust, and pollen in the air to help you breathe better.
Promising review: "This is an excellent purifier for those who are affected by cat dander, mold, and other problems associated with breathing difficulties. I have several cats so there is so much hair in the air in addition to their dander. This machine has solved my breathing problems during the night (I use it in my bedroom). In fact I am sleeping better every night, which I'm sure is due to the cleaner air that I am breathing. Another plus is that I'm using a great deal less tissues." —Linda Cruz
Get it from Amazon for $76.47+ (available in two colors)
5. A pack of dishwasher cleaning tablets to clean your machine as it runs. No need to sigh in frustration every time you open your dirty dishwasher to remove your "clean" dishes.
6. A beeswax wood polisher so you can revive your embarrassingly worn, dinged, and dented cabinets and table quick as a flash. Plus, this method is a heck of a lot cheaper than actually replacing the wood or furniture piece, and using this polish on a regular basis can actually help keep the wood hydrated so it lasts longer.
7. A Sun Joe pressure washer that'll make cleaning...dare I say...fun. You'll be ~blown away~ by the results.
Promising review: "Great product at a good price. Used this power washer to wash my stucco house for pre painting. Unit worked as advertised. Fairly quiet, but yet powerful sprayer. Great customer service and would highly recommend this product to anyone." —Boy Wonder CTS
Get it from Amazon for $160.
8. A carpet cleaner for getting rid of that questionable stain on your white carpet that's been taunting you and besting every other carpet cleaner you've ever tried — well, every carpet cleaner but this one.
Promising review: "This stuff is AMAZING. We have a 1.5-year-old puppy and have make several futile attempts to clean up carpet stains from her potty training days. Another dog owner clued us into this, and we cannot believe we didn't buy it sooner. Seriously, the same night this arrived, I spilled an entire bottle of beer on white carpet (oops), grabbed the Folex, sprayed a bunch onto the stain, massaged it into the carpet with my finger tips, and blotted with a damp towel. You can't see ANY remnant of a stain. I've also attacked old stains (like one-plus year old) and saw the same results. Seriously, buy this!!!" —AKM
Get it from Amazon for $12.76+ (available in packs of one, two, three, four, and six)
9. A gel dust cleaner if there's a crumb stuck between your R and T keys and it's bugging the heck out of you. Smushing this lemon-scented slime on your keyboard is weirdly soothing and the end result is dust-free keys.
Promising review: "This is so amazing and cleans up any keyboard! This is a must-have if you use a mechanical keyboard. This product cleans way beyond my expectations! I've used it on multiple keyboards, car vents, and small cracks/joints in my car interior. I was paranoid buying this container as I wasn't sure how long it would last but I'm still on my first container of this so it's WELL worth the money." —jgutz20
Get it from Amazon for $5.99+ (also available in blue).
10. A bottle of hard water booster powder to make mugs that look like the one on the left (aka cloudy) look more like the mug on the right (aka nice and shiny). Your precious morning coffee should not be ruined by hard water stains!
Promising review: "I could not get my flatware to come out clean from the dishwasher and I wondered if it was the hard water. I was using up to three soap blocks in each load with only partial improvement. I used this the first time and voilà! Perfectly clean flatware for the first time. I LOVE this!" —Susan A
11. An odor-eliminating spray because the smell of pee wafting from your carpet — even though you've diligently cleaned up after every pet mess — makes relaxing in the living room near impossible. Each spray releases bacteria that feeds on the ammonia left behind after your pet's accidents, eliminating the urine completely and deterring your pet from peeing in the same spot again.
Promising review: "I have six elderly cats, and a few of them oftentimes leave smelly pee puddles to register their disdain at whatever cats get 'peed off' about. It's not a litter box problem and, although I've caught one or two of them doing it, I can't blame them all. This product works great on fresh messes as well as dried ones. After blotting up fresh pee pads, I saturate the area with Rocco & Roxie's odor remover and let dry. For dried stinky stuff, I just saturate the area and let it dry. It has a pleasant odor and completely eliminates the ammonia odor. Believe me, I've tried all kinds of products, and this one works the best. I buy gallons now just to have on hand. It's better than smelling that awful pee!" —mona mia
Get it from Amazon for $19.94.
Check out our in-depth Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator review.
12. A Scrubbing Bubbles toilet cleaning stamp so you can polish your toilet without ever having to pick up a dirty toilet brush. *shudders* The stamp releases the cleaning gel, which foams and cleans your toilet.
Promising review: "I was sooo skeptical and was confused about how they’d work but the gel solidifies and with every flush, suds wash through with the water and it really makes a fresh difference. Also the scent is light but really nice and fresh! I recommend these 100%! They’re super interesting but they do the job." —Janet
13. A box of cleaning K-Cups that'll get rid of residue in your machine and prevent flavors from transferring in just one cycle. Or have fun descaling it multiple times. Your choice!
Promising review: "Just pop it in and run about one reservoir of water through the system. It is blue but unclogs and does a great job of cleaning. When I used the white vinegar method I'd have to rinse it quite a few times to get rid of the vinegar taste in the water. I definitely recommend this to others. I believe it works in all systems that use the K-Cup." —Brandi
Get a box of five pods from Amazon for $19.44.
14. A plant-based stainless-steel cleaner and polish for anyone whose family doesn't seem to understand that there are handles (handles, people!) and unnecessarily smudge the fridge with their fingerprints.
Promising review: "This is hands-down the only product that has ever perfectly cleaned my stainless steel appliances. It deserves 10 stars because nothing else comes close to removing streaks and toddler finger prints as easily and completely as this. I have tried for years to get my appliances to look like new. Everyone who has stainless should own this." —Danielle
Get a bottle from Amazon for $16.95.
15. A heavy-duty grout cleaner if your tile and grout have been walked all over without a single thought given to treating them to a deep clean. This'll give you an Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries-level makeover. The dirt will just disappear. IDK what else to tell you.
Promising review: "Amazing product. We had very rough grout in high traffic area that I thought for sure would require grinding and regrout. But five minutes and light brushing made it look brand new. Even the really tough areas look new! This works better than any product we’ve ever tried. Money well spent and one bottle did three rooms!" —Scott S.
Get it from Amazon for $19.95.
16. A robot vacuum to keep the mess under control without you ever lifting a finger. OK, I lied. You will have to press some buttons on the remote control but you'll no longer have to spend a good portion of your weekend manually vacuuming up mountains of dirt, dust, and pet fur.
Promising review: "I am a NEAT FREAK! I love to clean. I literally clean my house daily. It can’t be clean enough. I have a two-story, three-bedroom three-bathroom house with two dogs. This vacuum cleans all of it! This gadget is legit like a little human vacuuming your floors, but super throughly. It goes over all my rugs and hardwood floors, and it goes in the bathrooms and closets and under all the furniture. Once in awhile it gets caught in the wires underneath my TV but most of the time it is able to get itself out of it. It’s quiet. My dogs barely even notice it. This is worth every penny! It’s easy to set up, and easy to clean after each use. It does all the hard work for you. Since I’ve had mine, I’ve literally gotten five friends to buy one and they all love it too." —Shannon
Get it from Amazon for $195.50+ (also available in white).
17. An instant stain remover spray because it'll make your dirt-covered plastic patio furniture look new again. It actually works to remove the deep-set, below-the-surface stains so when you wipe away the cleaner, you're wiping away *all* the mess.
Promising review: "I have a small three-tier water fountain in my patio, naturally the birds in the community have come to rely upon it for drinking and bathing. I literally sprayed this product and walked away, I actually left it on overnight, I got busy with other tasks. When I checked back all of the mold was gone, everything, with no damage to the painted stucco wall or cement and no scrubbing. Literally spray and leave." —Mark
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in two sizes).
18. A cooktop cleaner so you can enjoy a pristine kitchen even though your messy roommate's selective amnesia means they don't remember all the apartment meetings you've had about cleaning up after yourselves. This kit comes with a bottle of cleaner, a sponge, and a scraper — everything you need short of a new roommate.
Promising review: "I had tried four different cleaners before discovering this one and I wish I would have found it sooner! All of that caked-on liquid that runs out of the pans and burns into the stove top while you’re cooking?? This removes all of it. It doesn’t scratch your glass top stove top and it leaves it looking brand-new. I won’t ever buy another cleaner — this is it for me!" —Christine
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.
19. An eco-friendly hard water stain-remover that'll defeat stubborn soap scum and residue that's bested all your other attempts to scrub it away. It's biodegradable so the scent won't singe your nose hairs and make you gag, plus it's safe enough to use on just about anything — including shower glass, tile, granite, stainless-steel, marble, brass, and porcelain.
Promising review: "I honestly only bought this product because of the money-back guarantee, thinking that there was no way anything would rid me of the hard water stains on the glass shower doors that I inherited from a former tenant. I had tried lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda, toilet bowl cleaner, a headlight-cleaning kit and even a professional strength cleaning acid, combined with hours of scrubbing by hand and finally with an oscillating scrub attachment for my power drill. I'm not saying that this product works quickly, but that fact that it works at all has me overjoyed! After an hour of using my oscillating scrub attachment, I have completely cleared away a chunk of the stains on the door, which honestly I did not think was possible before today. I am so relieved that I will soon be rid of these embarrassing stains. Very happy with this product and can't wait to tackle the rest of the shower!" —Emmy
Get it from Amazon for $17.77.
20. An effective grill cleaner for keeping your most-used warm weather appliance in tip-top shape. You're gonna need this. It's a no-brainer!
Promising review: "I tried six different products before trying this one and by far, this is the best one of all. I am the type of person who prefers cleaning the grill immediately after grilling. It loosens the debris off the grates easily and comes off easily. I like easy practical cleaning without the need to spend much time scrubbing. Try it, you will not regret it." —Fmcasado
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $18.
21. A portable Bissell SpotBot if spending hours on your hands and knees scrubbing cat vomit from the carpet sounds incredibly unappealing.
This portable carpet cleaner will spray, brush, and suction up any stain, no adult supervision needed. It also comes with a hose and tool attachment if you'd prefer a more hands-on cleaning session.
Promising review: "I have an older pug and he has always been good, but I knew one day this machine would be brought out. I had it nine months before my first use. He got sick one week, and I literally used the machine about 12 times in a week. All I can say is Bissell knocked it out of the park with this. It’s amazing. It cleans so well. It is the simplest machine I have ever used that does so much. It is well designed. Quick set up. And clean up. It does all the work for you. And it does a fantastic job. I love it. Worth every penny. I’ll never be without one. If you are on the fence, buy it. I can’t believe how good this machine works. And the design is flawless. The tanks are so easy to fill. And clean for storage. And if it can clean 100% of what we had this week. It can clean anything!!! Like it never even happened. Thank you Bissell!!!" —David
Get it from Amazon for $179.99.
22. A pack of washing machine wipes to clean all the nooks and crannies that get moldy, sticky, and dusty.
Promising review: "These wipes are worth the money spent! I have tried other disinfecting wipes, rag, cleaners, etc. in the past. These wipes made the job much easier and faster! It only took one wipe to wipe my front load down. The biggest impact was cleaning the rubber surround! I could not believe how much easier this made the task...just took minutes! Life changing product!" —AmazSD
Get 24 wipes from Amazon for $5.11.
23. A TikTok famous pink cleaning paste because your oven door looks like the one on the left (crusted in food bits) but it can look like the one on the right (sparkly clean).
Promising review: "I used this product for my stove because it's one thing I dislike like cleaning. I have used multiple degreaser sprays and they all are so toxic and don't work for me. The Magic Eraser was OK but I used several at a time and I had to scrub so hard. But this product oh my goodness; legit a miracle. It doesn't have any type of smell. I put the paste on a cloth, clean the area then wipe it off with a damp cloth and voilà — magic!" —May
Get it from Amazon for $7.55.
24. A drill brush kit so your arm isn't out of commission for a whole day after aggressively scrubbing stains for 10 minutes. Just attach the scrubbing brush head, flip the switch on your drill, and watch the dirt go straight down the drain.
Promising review: "I let my tub get extra dirty on purpose because I knew this brush set was coming. In five minutes my tub was sparkling clean. This item is no joke. The flat brushes are awesome for big surfaces and the cone brush hits the hard to reach corners. I liked them so much I bought a set for my mom." —Jason B.
Get it from Amazon for $14.95+ (available in soft, medium, stiff, and ultra stiff bristles).
25. A pack of foaming garbage disposal cleaners that'll clean your sink from the inside out. You definitely shouldn't be sticking your hand down the garbage disposal...so let this lil' helper do the dirty and dangerous work.
Promising review: "I ordered this after trying myriad products and home remedies that failed to rid our kitchen sink of a lingering odor that made each of us in the house suspect that one of the others had ground up a corpse in the garbage disposal. To our surprise, it neutralized the rotting flesh-whiff in the first use. Seriously. It is pretty awesome." —Shay E. Meagle
Get a box of 4 from Amazon for $9.99.
26. A reusable Swiffer cover for encouraging you to finally clean your slightly sticky floors. Who knew you had white tile?
Saged Home is a small business based in Portland, Oregon that sells home products that'll help you on your zero waste journey.
Promising review: "So easy to use and love that I can just throw them in the laundry when done!" —Sabrina
27. An OXO brush set if you want a precise clean. You get two brushes — one big and one small — to tackle every mess from grimy grout to stained cooktops.
Promising review: "These are magical! I've tried toothbrushes, sponges, rags, scrubbies, and everything to clean my nasty bathtub grout and these brushes worked better than all of them combined. I have arthritis and these are easy to grip and use for the duration of cleaning. They're very effective at lifting up the mold and mildew, as well as cleaning the soap scum and hard water lines. I used the littlest brush to clean around the fixtures on my bathroom sink and now it's sparkling. I'm so happy with these!" —BrooklynBeaches
Get it from Amazon for $7.99 (available in two colors).
28. A pet hair remover to do the dang job. This thingamajig couldn't be easier to use; just run it over your carpet, couch, clothes, car seats, and more and it'll collect pet fur that's deeply embedded.
29. Some washing machine cleaning tablets that clean and freshen the inside while dissolving residue because you keep your washing machine open when it's not in use yet it still smells moldy. What gives?
They're safe to use with pretty much any type of washer: HE or regular, top-loading and front-loading.
Promising review: "I've been using this product for several years now. I have two teens and a husband who's an auto technician. Boy do they get filthy! After time this grime buildup will make your washer stink bad. I don't do it every month as they say to as I don't have that type of money but when it stinks, this product is the bomb! Makes your washer smell really fresh, like brand new. If it still stinks after one tablet, pop another one in and no more stink!! Yay! I would give this 20 stars if I could. Really love this product so much so that I bought the ones for my dishwasher too!! (they work great too!)" —berja
Get a pack of six from Amazon for $11.14.
30. A pack of microfiber cleaning cloths so your sliding glass door is basically invisible — that's how clean and streak-free it'll look. And for all you Type A folks out there, each cloth is a different color and has a tag in the corner to prevent cross contamination. No one likes wiping down the kitchen with the bathroom rag. 🤮
Cleaning Studio is a small business based in Fairfield, Connecticut that specializes in natural cleaning products.
Promising review: "Love love love these! The label on each towel and the color coding system is perfect for the neat freak like me. Quality and size are great and will definitely make cleaning easier." —Helen
31. A microwave steam cleaner that'll melt away the baked-on crud that's clung to the sides of your microwave since, well, we're not exactly sure how long it's been there but suffice it to say it's been awhile.
Promising review: "Something I didn't believe until I tried it. So easy to follow directions, written on Angry Mama. Was disappointed when I opened the microwave to see the filth still on it. Was wishing it would magically taken care of itself. But all it took was a quick swipe with a paper towel and GONE. Loosened everything, which is half the process. My microwave was sooooo white once cleaned!! Would buy as gifts." —max's mum
Get it from Amazon for $6.99+ (available in four colors).
32. A reusable weighted bottle cleaner for getting rid of schmutz on the inside of your water bottle, especially those pesky tapered bottles where you can't slide a sponge down the neck. These sponges have an abrasive texture that dislodge food bits (like leftover smoothie that's stuck in your Blender Bottle) when you can't reach it. Just drop it in the bottle and give it a shake.
Each sponge should last around four months.
John, the founder, dreamed up the Cleanzy sponge after realizing there wasn't an effective way to clean drink containers without bulky tools and a lot of scrubbing. Enter the Cleanzy sponge — an adorable and fuss-free way to clean that requires minimal effort on your part.
33. Or a pack of dissolving bottle-cleaning tablets for anyone whose devotion to caffeine doesn't outweigh their laziness. It's OK — these bad boys will do all the heavy lifting for you so your beloved thermos is crystal clean quicker than it took you to make those stains.
Promising review: "This stuff is AMAZING!!!!!! It is completely worth the price. You will be AMAZED at how fast it works and how efficiently too. I admit, I was a little skeptical, even with other users posting pictures. For me, it was a try it to believe it. I did and I totally do. It works so well that it has made one of my tea tumblers look better than when I bought it. I would highly recommend this product!" —T. V. Henson
Get 12 tablets from Amazon for $8.