To celebrate National Grammar Day on March 4, the American Copy Editors Society held a haiku-writing contest on Twitter.
Here are some of our favorites (plus a few from BuzzFeed’s copy editors!):
1. There were haiku about punctuation:
7. And the myriad difficulties of the English language:
9. Some people made word-nerdy quips:
13. Or played with word choice:
15. There were pleas for improvement:
18. And a little bit of pedantry:
19. Some reminded us that language evolves:
21. And is meant to be enjoyed:
23. But most important, remember:
Looking for more grammar and style fun on Twitter? Follow BuzzFeed’s copy desk @styleguide!
Thumbnail image via Pierre Metivier / Creative Commons
The American Copy Editors Society held the haiku-writing contest. A previous version of this post misstated its name. H/T @andybechtel for the heads-up!
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines, prompting praise from pro-Trump unions.
- Mark Zuckerberg denied rumors that he might run for president, telling BuzzFeed News, "I'm focused on building our community at Facebook."
- Press Secretary Sean Spicer at today's White House briefing defended Trump's claim that millions of people voted illegally—but he cited a debunked study.
- And the 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture are "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," "Hidden Figures," "Hacksaw Ridge," "Manchester by the Sea," "Lion," "Fences," and "Hell or High Water" 🎥 🎬