8. I know what you’re thinking: what about wintertime? BISH PLEASE. They have it handled.
They make sure the ice level is at the right spot and then they straight-up chill (get it?) and live their lives all winter. Remember how the kits are born in January? Yeah, winter’s when they get busy.
10. So at this point you probably want your own beaver lodge in your backyard, right?
The cool dude with the half-sunglasses on his teeny horse is your hero. I get it. I mean, it’s kind of dumb that you’re idolizing a plastic toy, but it’s not dumb that you’re realizing how awesome beavers are.
14. In order to spend their lives chewing on trees they have these CRAZY TEETH. And they don’t stop growing.
They just get filed down as they chew.
And I think it goes without saying that their front teeth, the incisors, are crazy too, since they’re GIGANTIC AND ORANGE.
16. So, while we’re on the topic of beaver teeth, let’s discuss beaver attacks. This is Normand Brousseau, a 51-year-old boy scout leader that was attacked last summer.
Not to make light of the horrifying event, but here are some highlights from the August, 2012 article in The Daily News about it…
“‘It just kept attacking me and attacking me,’ he said. ‘I’d get it off me and then it would bite me again. I got bit in six different spots…. on my butt too.’”
“There, the bleeding Brousseau hurled the animal to the ground and his scouts pounced on it — stoning the beaver to death.”
“Brousseau said he, another scout leader, and four scouts, were holding on to foam noodles and floating down the river on Aug. 2 when he spotted bubbles in the water and felt something brush between his legs.”
…BUBBLES IN THE WATER.
18. But here’s the thing: beaver attacks have become increasingly common in Belarus, where a 60-year-old man was even killed by one a couple months ago.
They were hunted to near extinction in Europe… and now they’re back (with a vengeance?). Experts are attributing the attacks to the increase in population. And while beaver attacks are very rare, they’re common in the Spring now because there are so many adolescent beavers are in search of their own territory to stake out and build lodges on.
…So yeah, if you don’t know whom to believe or how to feel, that’s normal.
21. Also, they can hold their breath up to 15 minutes, and their fur is oily and waterproof!
And even though they waddle clumsily on land, the beavers are graceful and powerful when swimming. Their paddle tails and webbed toes in the back are ideal for moving underwater.
28. And if you did laugh at those, just know that you’re not alone… Even law-enforcement officials can’t resist a good Beaver joke.
From the article regarding the arrest of an Oregon State University athlete (whose school’s mascot is the beaver) who was running around naked, terrorizing people:
“Officer Hagardy pointed to his privates and said, ‘look boys it’s a Beaver,’ said Benton County deputy sheriff Scott Westland. ‘We all got a good laugh at that because of the double entendre. Hagardy is a laugh riot.’ Westland then explained that the joke may have enraged the young lineman. ‘He told us to stop laughing and Hagardy said we would as soon as his Beaver went back into hibernation,’ Westland said. ‘Then he got into a three-point stance and Hagardy just whispered ‘vagina’ and the kid basically did a pass-rushing drill on the officer. That’s when we tased him and booked him. Man that was funny.’”
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯