1. Two-year-old Kayden Kinckle was born with Omphalocele, a birth defect in which internal organs remain outside the body. Little Kayden’s umbilical cord was also wrapped around his legs and feet in the womb, causing some deformity.
Doctors said he might not make it, but over his two short years of life, he has proven them very, very wrong.
2. Kayden had two abdominal surgeries shortly after being born, and then, in January, doctors amputated his right foot and left leg.
On Facebook, Kayden’s father Kevin said the surgery was “the first step that had to be made before Kayden [could] take his first step.”
4. On July 4, Kayden took his first steps, while his mom Nikki captured the whole thing in the video above. On YouTube, Nikki said, “This video is really more than first steps… we celebrate his life as well and every step he takes will be to glorify God.”
5. Kayden’s family created a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay for “extra physical therapy visits, braces and prosthetics for Kayden and to pay off outstanding medical bills.” You can learn more about Kayden’s story and donate to his cause here.
- The 2016 MTV VMAs are airing at 8 p.m. ET tonight. Here are all the nominees 📺🎵