33 Facts About The Human Body That Will Make You Realize You Don't Know Anything About The Thing You're Living In
What is this magical thing that keeps us alive?!
I love the human body because so far it has kept me alive, and I thank it for that. But also because it's AMAZING AND WEIRD AND FREAKY. After reading this Reddit thread, I realized there was a lot I didn't know about the vessel I live in, so I figured I should share this information with everyone else, too. THE MORE YOU KNOW!!
6. "During surgery, organs don't have to be put back in the exact position they are meant to be. Your body kind of just moves the organs into the correct position after the surgery."
10. "The human brain looks wrinkled because it is actually 'folded' inside the skull in order to fit a maximum of surface, and thus neurons and cell communications. Some animals, like rodents, have a completely smooth brain."
11. "The average human erection has about 130 milliliters of blood in it, while the average rabbit has about 126 milliliters in its entire body. So there is more blood in a boner than in a bunny."
17. "Your cornea (in the eye) is the only part of your body that doesn't get oxygen from your lungs. The cornea just absorbs free oxygen from the air the way insects do. This is why contact lenses have to be breathable!"
19. "Your heart rate increases about a minute before you participate in exercise. It is known as the anticipatory rise and happens involuntarily."
20. "Right before you vomit, your mouth fills with quite a bit of saliva. This normally happens like 30–45 seconds before you vomit. It does this to help protect your mouth from the acids in the vomit."
22. "The left half of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the right half of the brain controls the left side of the body."
Author's note: This thread was very interesting, and I did the best I could to find sources for these facts. However, not all of them could be referenced in well-known medical journals, so please keep that in mind. Either way, the body rules.