Sugar Rainbow Experiment
1. Fill 6 containers with equal amounts water.
2. Add food coloring to each of the containers. Make them red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Set them out in rainbow order.
3. Now it’s time to add the sugar to create different densities.
4. Add nothing to red, 1 teaspoon to orange, 2 teaspoons to yellow, 3 teaspoons to green, 4 teaspoons to blue, and 5 teaspoons to purple.
5. Stir until all sugar is dissolved.
6. Carefully, and slowly, use your straw to grab a small amount of each color, starting with the red.
7. To do so, put straw in solution and then plug the top with your thumb.
8. With thumb still on top of straw, put it in the orange. Release quickly and replug to get some orange solution.
9. Continue with all the colors until you have all the colors in order in your straw.
10. Marvel at your work!