1. Surely nothing bad could happen at the home of Walder Frey.
You know, the man whose daughter was promised to Robb Stark before he up and decided to marry someone else entirely.
2. It’s not like you can blame Robb for marrying Talisa. I mean, have you seen her?
More to the point: Have you seen Walder Frey’s daughters?
3. Sure, Catelyn did warn Robb that Walder Frey was a dangerous man to cross.
But this is a WEDDING. Nothing bad ever happens at weddings.
4. Here’s the thing, though: When it’s a wedding where Roose Bolton is wearing body armor, all bets are off.
It’s right around here that it’s OK to start panicking.
5. Because Game of Thrones is about to FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
And you’ll soon find out why this scene, arguably the most horrific in George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, is called the “Red Wedding.”
6. Talisa is the first to die, stabbed repeatedly in the stomach. Where she’s carrying Robb’s child.
It’s worth noting that Robb’s wife doesn’t die in the book — although Talisa is much more sympathetic than Jeyne Westerling, so OF COURSE Game of Thrones would kill her.
7. A desperate Catelyn tries to bargain for Robb’s life with Walder Frey’s wife.
One small problem: Walder Frey doesn’t give a shit about his wife.
8. And then, as Catelyn watches in horror, Roose Bolton stabs Robb in the heart.
At this point, Catelyn has lost her husband, her daughters, and all three of her sons. (Remember that she still thinks Bran and Rickon are dead.) Her suffering is nearly incomprehensible.
10. Here’s what George R. R. Martin said to me about the Red Wedding when I interviewed him at the Season 3 premiere:
“I am told by the people that participated in it that it is awful. So I’m — like the fans, I’m looking forward to it with anticipation and a certain amount of dread. And also I’m living in terror of the reaction. When that book came out, I got some amazing letters from people telling how they threw the book into the fireplace and they would never read me again and they hated me. But then they went out the next week and bought another copy of the book, and they love me now. We may get some similar reactions. I don’t recommend anyone throw their television set into the fireplace. It could be very dangerous.”
11. So. How’s everyone holding up?
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.