Just 21 Genuinely Helpful Tips For Anyone Who Travels Alone
Don't let the fear of being on your own hold you back. You got this!
1. Practice doing smaller activities alone before embarking on a big solo trip.
2. Do some research about each destination you're going to and organize the basics, like where you're staying and how to get there, before you arrive.
3. Don't — or at least TRY not to — overpack. Remember you have to carry it all on your own!
4. Take a mini first-aid kit.
6. Spend time curating a special playlist for your trip and download it to your phone.
7. Give a copy of your important travel details (flight numbers, hostel names, etc.) to someone reliable back home.
8. But remember that just because you make plans, it doesn't mean you have to stick to them. Allow yourself to be spontaneous!
9. If you're headed overseas, buy a local sim card so you don't have to rely on finding Wi-Fi.
10. Or at the least, use Wi-Fi to download offline Google Maps of the places you're visiting.
11. If you're daunted by the idea of dining out alone, sit at the bar or bring a book to keep you occupied.
12. Be friendly, approachable, and open to meeting new people.
13. Even if you can afford a hotel, consider staying in a (highly rated) hostel. Most have options for private rooms as well as dorms.
14. And if you're arriving into a new city late at night, it can be a good idea to book accommodation close to the station or airport, even if it's a bit more expensive.
15. Take advantage of free walking tours.
16. If you have a smart watch, use it as a self-timer remote for perfect selfies.
17. If you're a woman and want to avoid being hit on, it can sometimes help to wear a fake wedding ring.
18. Try to act confident in public, even when you're not totally sure what you're doing.
19. But also remember it's OK to ask for help if you need it.
20. Try not to worry about what other people are thinking. Honestly, they're probably not paying as much attention to you as you think they are.
21. And perhaps the most important of all: Just go!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.