2. Like a lot of people, I found myself still getting zits well into my late twenties.
When you’re starting to get wrinkles and still getting zits it can be downright infuriating.
3. A boiling point happened right before my wedding. I was 29 and was not pleased with the idea of walking down the aisle with a forehead full of zits.
I started trying everything I could — exfoliants, citrus peels, foam cleansers, charcoal masks, salicylic acid — you name it, I was putting it on my face. (It wasn’t helping.)
4. On the big day I ended up wearing a veil on my head and zits on my forehead. (God bless makeup).
Fortunately I was too happy to care.
6. I went to Sephora and got a cleansing oil and moisturizing oil.
There are probably lots of good oils out there, but I ended up buying AmorePacific treatment cleansing oil ($50) and Fresh Seaberry moisturizing oil ($52). I know this sounds pricey but it’s been well over a year and a half and I haven’t run out of either!
8. I stopped washing my face in the morning altogether, and started using the oil cleanser at night followed by a couple drops of moisturizing oil mixed with a heavy face cream — it went against everything I thought I knew.
For the heavy moisturizer, I busted out a Bobbi Brown hydrating moisturizer ($58) my mom gave me years ago that I had always been worried was too rich for my skin. Spoiler: It wasn’t.
9. Lo and behold, my skin improved drastically! I’ve kept up the routine and my skin hasn’t been a problem since.
Oil cleansers have really changed my life and now I want to yell it from the roof tops so other people know.
10. I reached out to dermatologist Dr. Dhaval G. Bhanusali to find out the science behind this oil magic. In his words:
“Some oils are actually good for oily skin. (And they may penetrate better than other products!) Depending on the ingredients, the oils can be rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial ingredients, which help soothe and smooth the skin.
“The mistake many people make is that they use harsh, drying cleansers and products that strip the ‘good’ oils on the skin surface causing irritated, raw skin,” he said. Long term, the body may actually be making more oil to overcompensate because it thinks it’s not producing enough oil, which is why you can start breaking out.
He was also kind enough to recommend different oils for certain problems. Check them out below!
12. In conclusion:
- This dad had the most adorable freak out to his family when he met his first alpaca 😂