MARRIAGE: 1) If You Haven't Said "I Do" There's Still Time to Run
2) Getting Into Marriage Can be Messy!
3) Define the Relationship Before Getting Married
4) Lesbian Weddings in New York!
5) Free Love Met with Resistance
6) Weddings Can be Quite "Extravagant"
7) Marriage Age Gaps
8) Rushing Into a Marriage May Cause Problems
9) Marriage Can Be A Drunken Mistake
10) Patriarchy Is Removed
11) Soul Mates Do Exist!
DIVORCE: 1) You May Not See the Divorce Coming
2) A Lack of Trust Can Lead to Divorce
3) Adultery Can Lead to Divorce
4) Sometimes Divorces Don't End Well
5) Ross is Ashamed of His Multiple Divorces
6) Divorce Becomes a Source For Jokes
FAMILY LIFE: 1) Lesbian Parents
2) Surrogate Babies!
3) Raising a Child in A Homosexual Relationship
4) Family Struggles
5) More Non-Traditional Families
6) We all Need to Start Being Independent Some Day
7) Children out of Wedlock
9) Settling Down
10) Friends Are Family
Overall Critique of the Show
Although I already critiqued each point listed above, I wanted to conclude with an overall critique of the show. In my opinion, Friends did a great job portraying relationships and how they progress through people's lifetimes. In addition, they highlighted a very modern and contemporary view of relationships at the time. For example, the first couple seasons were platonic relationships, which later progressed into marriages, divorces, and families. I think they were very effective in challenging views of the time, such as the lesbian wedding or the many nontraditional families. There are of course some views of marriage, divorce, and family life that weren't all that touched on such as interracial relationships, but I don't think I ever realized how progressive Friends was for its time.