1. As soon as you see redness, RUN.
“The short-term effects of sunburn can be delayed by six hours so get into the shade as soon as you see redness on your skin,” says Amin.
2. Grab a cool compress.
Mikhail suggests running a towel under water, placing it in the fridge for a few minutes, then laying the cool towel over the affected area for 10 minutes, two to three times per day.
3. For a more ~organic~ remedy, try putting milk on the burn(s).
Soak a compress in a solution of milk cut in half with ice cold water and place it on the burn. “The whey protein in the milk and the lactic acid [are] anti-inflammatory and very soothing,” says Jaliman.
6. Or hydrocortisone cream.
Jaliman says hydrocortisone is great for sunburns because it’s anti-inflammatory and helps relieve pain for some serious calming relief.
7. Or place green tea on your poor sunburned skin.
Place a compress soaked in cooled green tea onto the sunburn for 15 minutes and then dry off. Jaliman tells BuzzFeed Life that green tea has a high concentration of antioxidants, which are anti-inflammatory.
8. To cut down on ~peeling~, use a fragrance-free moisturizer.
“Continue to moisturize the area with a fragrance-free, cream-based moisturizer several times a day. Keep the area protected from sun with either frequent reapplication of a physical or mineral-based sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher (not chemical) or with protective clothing,” says Mikhail.
10. Take ibuprofen for short- and long-term relief.
“Sunburn can lead to DNA damage and collagen denaturation. Anti-inflammatory medications can reduce symptoms of sunburn and might even reverse some of the sun damage,” says Amin.
11. And if the burn is bad enough, you’re going to need to seek medical attention.
Mikhail explains that if you experience any of these four symptoms, paying your doctor a visit is recommended:
- The burn covers a wide body surface area (more than half)
- There are blisters
- There are systemic symptoms like a high fever, chills, or severe pain
- There are areas that develop increased redness or pus (signs of infection)
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- We found about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.