Though same-sex couples have had equal marriage rights in South Africa since 2006, there remains a great deal of opposition to these unions. One of the strongest voices against same-sex marriage has come from traditional leaders, who have argued that homosexuality is a western import to the country. In 2012, the National House of Traditional Leaders asked parliament to strike LGBTI rights protections from the constitution.
That’s why the marriage this weekend of Tshepo Cameron Modisane and Thoba Calvin Sithole grabbed attention in South Africa. The two men married in a traditional Zulu ceremony in the town of Stranger.
3. eNews Channel Africa also did this video on preparations for the wedding:
- The Russian government agrees with Donald Trump's comments that NATO is "obsolete," which the president-elect made during an interview published Sunday.
- BuzzFeed News spent two months mapping Trump's personal and business connections — and found more than 1,500 in all.
- Eight billionaires — all men — together own as much wealth as the world's poorest 3.7 billion people, a new report has revealed.
- There's a new HBO show called "The Young Pope" and the internet is having fun with it.