Here’s a contest that took place in the San Fernando Valley in 1982, documented by the show Real People, hosted by none other than Fred Willard (weird!). Held at the mall (where else?) each val girl got up in front of an audience and panel of judges to convince them that she was the most air-headed, um, I mean, awesome, of all. The scary thing is that everyone seems to be taking it really, really seriously…
2. One of the judges says this…
The girls are so sophisticated, when they go to the 7-11, they ask for the Slurpee list. They’re that uptown.
3. Another judge of the contest was Moon Unit Zappa, Frank Zappa’s daughter, who gained recognition for being the ultimate valley girl by offering val-speak spoken word on her father’s track, “Valley Girl.”
4. This is the original Frank Zappa song, “Valley Girl.”
The movie, Valley Girl, starring Nicolas Cage, would come out a year later, in 1983. (P.S. did you hear they are doing a musical re-make of Valley Girl?! Bitchin’.)
5. Watch the entire Valley Girl contest here. And be thankful that we are no longer this stupid:
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- A teen had a remarkably petty response when her ex asked for his prom money back: She paid him in all pennies 😏