No Alternative Girls is a 1994 short film by Tamra Davis — director of music videos for ridiculously cool groups like Sonic Youth, The Bangles, Veruca Salt, and the Beastie Boys (she’s married to Mike D). Interestingly, Tamra has also directed Crossroads and Billy Madison, but that’s neither here nor there. In this nearly six-minute short, Tamra aims her lens on female alternative musicians, asking them questions about their identities and sexuality. The result is a powerful piece that looks at feminism through a gritty and honest lens.
2. Courtney Love on what’s wrong with today’s female youth:
3. Kim Gordon on waiting to have sex until you’re ready:
4. Jill Cunniff of Luscious Jackson on how we talk about women in music:
5. Check out the entire short here:
- Let the Brexit countdown begin: Prime Minister Theresa May has invoked Article 50. Britain is set to leave the EU by 2019.
- The US House of Representatives voted to undo landmark internet privacy rules that protect your sensitive information like browsing history 💻
- Companies like Nestle, Ben & Jerry's, and General Mills say they'll keep fighting carbon pollution despite Trump's climate change executive order.
- Two UN investigators' bodies were found in a shallow grave after they went missing in the Democratic Republic of Congo.