The choker necklace has a long and storied history. You’ll find examples of it centuries ago in Chinese, Native American, Indian, and Egyptian cultures. Let’s take a look at some of the choker’s historic highlights…
2. 1798: Political dress during the French Revolution.
During the French Revolution, women took to wearing red ribbons around their necks to pay homage to those who met their death at the guillotine. The ribbon could be worn around the neck, or another fashion came in the form of an X around the shoulders and back. (via)
6. A young Indian woman wears a choker-style necklace in Bombay.
Alexandra, Princess of Wales, was said to have been influenced by Indian dress and jewelry during her numerous tenures in India.
7. A woman wears a choker in 1880.
8. Late 1800s: Upscale chokers are markers of the elite.
The term dog collars or colliers de chien catches on, and these designs — incorporating luxe diamonds, pearls, lace, and velvet — can be seen as objects of the elite because the best kinds were custom-made to fit one’s neck perfectly. No one likes a droopy choker! (via)
10. And then the ’90s happened…
A time when Claire’s and Afterthoughts stocked nothing but chokers.
13. Gwyneth wore one to the 1999 Academy Awards.
To go with the dress she stole from Barbie.
14. Britney really liked chokers in the late ’90s.
So much so that she affected this jubilant expression every time she wore one. Ah, pure joy!
15. Remember this one Christina Aguilera wore in 2001?
16. And this one Paris wore that same year?
No, but I’d like to erase this from my memory now.
17. Rihanna’s been wearing choker necklaces a lot lately…
18. And they were all over the runways at Paris Fashion Week in January…
Oh, Jean Paul Gaultier.
19. What is going on?!?!?!
Actually, it’s all good.
- Some of Donald Trump's diehard supporters say they have mixed feelings about watching — much less paying for — Trump TV.
- A powerful magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck Italy Wednesday night, hours after a smaller magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region.
- Facebook keeps promoting fake news. Experts say its trending algorithm can't stop it—and it could get worse ❌📰
- Donald Trump bashed Hillary Clinton for going to an Adele concert after critics slammed him for promoting his new hotel.