1. In 1958, a scientist works on preparing a rocket for launch.
2. Welcome to Hotel NASA. Here’s a bedroom at NASA in 1950.
3. Cape Canaveral in 1958.
4. 1959: Astronauts on the Project Mercury mission — the first human spaceflight mission ever. We were working on beating the Russians then.
5. A Project Mercury astronaut trains in a water tank, practicing escape after landing.
6. A NASA dining room and lounge in 1950.
7. In 1959, astronaut John Glenn trains in a model spaceship.
8. Here in 1950, engineers test out a NASA vehicle for lunar missions.
9. At Langley in 1959, an astronaut trains on a hydraulic orbital altitude simulator.
10. A Project Mercury astronaut looks over his spacesuit.
11. Chairs are molded to each astronaut.
12. Studying alpha rays at NASA in 1957 when there was still interest in developing nuclear-powered aircraft.
13. In the ’40s and ’50s NASA actively recruited women for computing work. Here, in 1952, a female employee is at work at Langley Research Center.
14. In 1959, the wives of the Project Mercury astronauts pose for a photo.
- Today's the fourth and final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- French prosecutors have identified the second suspect in the priest killing in Normandy as 19-year-old Abdel Malik Petitjean.
- The US Justice Department backed Obama's transgender policies in court after Texas and other states sued to block the rules.