1. In 1958, a scientist works on preparing a rocket for launch.
2. Welcome to Hotel NASA. Here’s a bedroom at NASA in 1950.
3. Cape Canaveral in 1958.
4. 1959: Astronauts on the Project Mercury mission — the first human spaceflight mission ever. We were working on beating the Russians then.
5. A Project Mercury astronaut trains in a water tank, practicing escape after landing.
6. A NASA dining room and lounge in 1950.
7. In 1959, astronaut John Glenn trains in a model spaceship.
8. Here in 1950, engineers test out a NASA vehicle for lunar missions.
9. At Langley in 1959, an astronaut trains on a hydraulic orbital altitude simulator.
10. A Project Mercury astronaut looks over his spacesuit.
11. Chairs are molded to each astronaut.
12. Studying alpha rays at NASA in 1957 when there was still interest in developing nuclear-powered aircraft.
13. In the ’40s and ’50s NASA actively recruited women for computing work. Here, in 1952, a female employee is at work at Langley Research Center.
14. In 1959, the wives of the Project Mercury astronauts pose for a photo.
- Trump gave a speech in Gettysburg, PA that was billed as a major policy address. He mainly focused on his usual grievances 🔴
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘