It was put in to advertise a charity matinee being held at a theatre in Whitley Bay, Tyne, England.
The children’s charity matinee The Wedding of Mickey Mouse, was an event that toured the territories of our British film licensees throughout 1936. This particular charity matinee and stage show was held in the seaside resort town of Whitley Bay. We also have clippings describing the same event happening in other theaters in London, Sydney and New Zealand.
4. Wow. As it turns out, Mickey and Minnie costumes from this era varied quite a bit.
According to Disney, “The 1930s Mickey Mouse Club characters from U.S. and England were home grown, mostly simple costume pieces (buttoned shorts for Mickey, a dotted skirt and hat for Minnie) with leotards and tights, made by a supporter of the club.”
5. Despite having several public weddings, it would appear as though the ceremonies didn’t really count for the Disney couple:
From Archivist Rebecca Cline: “The company’s position on Mickey and Minnie as a couple is that ‘Minnie is Mickey’s leading lady and best girl’ and that although as actors they occasionally appear on film as a married couple, they are not married in real life.”
7. However! Here’s one completely endearing fact: The actors who voiced Mickey and Minnie — Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor — were married in real life.
There’s still hope for us yet.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘