1. The Rangers got shelled by the Red Sox yesterday; by the bottom of the 8th, they were down 17-5. So, rather than waste yet another pitcher, the Rangers let outfielder David Murphy take the mound.
3. Seriously: he struck Mike Carp out with a knuckleball that looked to be traveling below the local speed limit.
4. Carp was so angry/confused/embarrassed by the whole thing that he argued the call until he got thrown out of the game. Not sure if this makes it better, but it can’t make it any worse.
Carp is offscreen, but you can see the ump punting him sending him off.
5. And for his part, Murphy recognized the absurdity of the whole thing, which, after a leadoff double, also included Pedro Ciriaco and David Ortiz hitting into outs.
Hey: if a Cubs pitcher can hit a grand slam, a Rangers outfielder can strike someone out.
- At least 41 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- The president of the European Council says the bloc's leaders want the UK's exit plans "to be specified as soon as possible."
- More athletes — nearly all of them golfers — have pulled out of the Rio Olympics over Zika virus concerns.