1. The Rangers got shelled by the Red Sox yesterday; by the bottom of the 8th, they were down 17-5. So, rather than waste yet another pitcher, the Rangers let outfielder David Murphy take the mound.
3. Seriously: he struck Mike Carp out with a knuckleball that looked to be traveling below the local speed limit.
4. Carp was so angry/confused/embarrassed by the whole thing that he argued the call until he got thrown out of the game. Not sure if this makes it better, but it can’t make it any worse.
Carp is offscreen, but you can see the ump punting him sending him off.
5. And for his part, Murphy recognized the absurdity of the whole thing, which, after a leadoff double, also included Pedro Ciriaco and David Ortiz hitting into outs.
Hey: if a Cubs pitcher can hit a grand slam, a Rangers outfielder can strike someone out.
- A second wave of bomb threats sent to Jewish community centers brought the number of locations threatened on Monday to 29.
- Trump accused Barack Obama of organizing recent protests against him and leaking information from the White House to the press.
- Accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers fessed up to the Oscars oops that caused "La La Land" to be named best picture instead of "Moonlight."
- Elon Musk announced that his SpaceX company will send two tourists around the moon by 2018 🚀🌝