1. The Rangers got shelled by the Red Sox yesterday; by the bottom of the 8th, they were down 17-5. So, rather than waste yet another pitcher, the Rangers let outfielder David Murphy take the mound.
3. Seriously: he struck Mike Carp out with a knuckleball that looked to be traveling below the local speed limit.
4. Carp was so angry/confused/embarrassed by the whole thing that he argued the call until he got thrown out of the game. Not sure if this makes it better, but it can’t make it any worse.
Carp is offscreen, but you can see the ump punting him sending him off.
5. And for his part, Murphy recognized the absurdity of the whole thing, which, after a leadoff double, also included Pedro Ciriaco and David Ortiz hitting into outs.
Hey: if a Cubs pitcher can hit a grand slam, a Rangers outfielder can strike someone out.
- Donald Trump says he has picked retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson to be his secretary of housing and urban development.
- The far-right candidate in Austria's presidential election has conceded defeat, obstructing the advance of the global populist movement in Europe.
- An armed man was arrested Sunday near a pizza spot named in a Hillary Clinton conspiracy rumor. Here's how "Pizzagate" was spread.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏