At this point, it’s no secret that Tim Tebow, who “played” his last game as a New York Jet last Sunday — 0 carries, 0 passes — was a complete disaster this season. But it still might surprise you to see how much he cost the Jets relative to how little he produced. The salaries of most backup quarterbacks can be reconciled by the fact that their coaches trust them to take over in the case of the starter’s injury; because the Jets’ staff showed that they did not trust Tebow to do that, you have to judge the situation based on what he did when he did appear briefly for the Jets in special circumstances. It is, apparently, all they were paying him for. (Tebow cost New York $3.6 million this year: $1.6 million paid to Tebow, $2 million payout to the Broncos.)
3. $300,000 per game.
Tebow played in 12 games this season.
4. $25,531.91 per yard gained.
141 total yards.
5. $35,294.12 per carry.
6. $450,000 per pass attempt.
Eight pass attempts on the year. EIGHT. IN 12 GAMES. HE’S A QUARTERBACK.
7. $81,818.18 per use of the word “Exciting” during introductory press conference.
He said some variation of the word “exciting” 44 times.
8. $900,000 per win.
The Jets won six games this year, but Tebow only played in four of them.
9. $Infinity per start at quarterback.
$3,600,000 divided by 0.
All stats via Pro-Football-Reference.com
- France's highest court has reversed the burkini ban imposed on a town near Nice, a human rights group lawyer said.
- Hillary Clinton came closer than ever to attacking Donald Trump's character and tied her opponent to the "alt-right" movement.
- Italy declared a state of emergency in the regions hardest hit by Wednesday's earthquake. At least 267 people have died and 400 others were injured.