15. “Monsanto has sued more than 150 farmers for intellectual property infringement and not paying them royalties.”
Most famously, Percy Schmeiser was sued by Monsanto for the Roundup-resistant canola found growing on his farm. Schmeiser says the canola seeds were blown by wind onto his farm and grew there by accident.
Vanity Fair has another great article on Monsanto’s private investigators threaten small farms in places like Missouri.
17. “Experts disagree on whether failures in Monsanto’s insect-resistant Bt Cotton crops caused a rash of farmer suicides in India.”
Some argue that Monsanto’s steep royalties, frequent crop failures, and pest-prone monocultures drove many Indian farmers into debt and suicide. Others say that soaring costs of living and lost of subsidies are to blame, and activists overattribute Monsanto in a social epidemic.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭