15. “Monsanto has sued more than 150 farmers for intellectual property infringement and not paying them royalties.”
Most famously, Percy Schmeiser was sued by Monsanto for the Roundup-resistant canola found growing on his farm. Schmeiser says the canola seeds were blown by wind onto his farm and grew there by accident.
Vanity Fair has another great article on Monsanto’s private investigators threaten small farms in places like Missouri.
17. “Experts disagree on whether failures in Monsanto’s insect-resistant Bt Cotton crops caused a rash of farmer suicides in India.”
Some argue that Monsanto’s steep royalties, frequent crop failures, and pest-prone monocultures drove many Indian farmers into debt and suicide. Others say that soaring costs of living and lost of subsidies are to blame, and activists overattribute Monsanto in a social epidemic.
- We made it: Trump and Clinton sparred over ISIS, race in the US, and his unreleased taxes during the first debate 📢
- Ted Cruz said Trump's list of potential Supreme Court nominees spurred his decision to endorse his former opponent.
- Parents of the suspected Washington mall gunman who killed five people said he "had mental issues."