It’s time for Mandy Moore to stage a musical comeback.
In the meantime, while we wait patiently for new tunes, let’s remind ourselves of all the reasons why Mandy is the true queen of ‘00s pop.
1. Her hit “Candy” is every bit as iconic as Britney and Christina’s early singles.
2. Seriously, the sporty satin skirt she rocked in the "Candy" video was every bit as aspirational as Britney's naughty schoolgirl look.
And easier to recreate!
3. While "Candy" is the most memorable of Mandy's teen-pop hits, "I Wanna Be With You" is an equally enjoyable sugar rush.
4. And "Crush" is as charming today as it was in 2001.
5. Her early pop albums were endearingly age-appropriate.
While she gets lumped in with Britney and Christina, Mandy’s music mostly side-stepped the lolita thing. When she burst on to the pop scene at 15, she mostly focused on holding hands with her crush and convincing him to walk her home. A couple of years later she released her “grown up” and “sensual” third album, but even at her most explicit Mandy was super relatable. Case and point: the shimmery “17,” which is all about Mandy deciding to sleep with her bad-boy boyfriend. It’s more anxious than sexy but that's part of its appeal.