Tennis player Rafael Nadal during a ceremony in Madrid July 14.
MADRID (AP) — Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the London Olympics, saying he is ‘not in condition’ to compete.
Nadal said in a statement Thursday it is one of the saddest moments of his career and that he will not travel with the Spanish delegation to London. He was set to be the flag bearer for Spain during the opening ceremony.
Nadal won gold in Beijing in 2008.
Nadal has not played since he was eliminated in the second round of Wimbledon to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol.
Nadal during his match against Czech Republic’s Lukas Rosol on day four of the 2012 Wimbledon Championships.
Nadal leaving the court after losing his second round to Rosol.
5. Hopefully this didn’t happen again…
6. We know for sure this didn’t happen.
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- At least 13 people were killed and 31 others injured when a tour bus crashed into a semi-trailer near Palm Springs, California Sunday.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.