1. The Phillie Phanatic: Philadelphia Phillies
Why: The Phillie Phanatic is in a class of his own. He’s a green creature of some undistinguishable origin, but he’s so much more than that. In the world of mascots the Phanatic is a true original in a land of imitators (Wally The Green Monster in Boston, Slider in Cleveland, etc).
2. Bernie Brewer: Milwaukee Brewers
Why: He’s a brewer that used to slide into a giant mug of beer every time a Milwaukee player hit a home run. Sure they’ve neutered him a bit lately (now he slides onto a platform shaped like home-plate), but still, a town as awesomely drunk as Milwaukee deserves a drunk mascot.
3. Lou Seal: San Francisco Giants
Why: Well, he’s a giant seal with awesome orange sunglasses. Hard to argue against the merits of that. Plus he’s a he, which means they totally ignore the fact that Lou Seal is a homonym for Lucille, which would be a natural mascot play on words. That’s hilarious. I love Lou Seal.
4. The Oriole Bird: Baltimore Orioles
Why: The point of a mascot is to cause joy in fans. Well the O’s mascot is so uncreative that he might actually be the funniest in sports. His full name is “The Oriole Bird” but fans call him “The Bird” for short. And that’s all he is, an anthropomorphized version of an Oriole. If that doesn’t make you laugh, I don’t even want to know you.
6. Mariner Moose: Seattle Mariners
Why: Because he’s hardcore. He once broke his ankle when he ran into the outfield wall while being dragged by an ATV on rollerblades. That’s fantastic. My hometown Cleveland Indians had a playoff mascot injury, but Slider just fell off the wall while dancing. What an idiot.
- From water jugs and dehydrated food to Faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Donald Trump's presidency.
- Several people are trapped after an avalanche buried an Italian hotel Wednesday night following a succession of earthquakes.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JPMorgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸