1. This is McKayla Maroney.
2. You remember her from the perfect vault she did in the Women’s Team Gymnastics final.
3. The one that was so good it made the judge’s jaw drop.
4. Well yesterday was the Women’s Vault Final, and Maroney was the hands down favorite to win gold.
5. Her first vault was unsurprisingly awesome.
She did land slightly on the red, which is good for a deduction, but as the announcer Shannon Miller said, “she has so little execution deduction in the air, that it’ll still be a huge score.” It was. Maroney’s 15.866 would be and remain the highest scored single vault in the Women’s Vault Final.
7. But on the second vault the unthinkable happened.
Maroney fell down. According to Deadspin Maroney hadn’t missed on a vault in her last 33 attempts. Even with the fall, she ended up missing out on gold by only .108 points.
Maroney’s reaction to winning silver? Let out your inner “mean girl.”
13. The “Do I look like I want to hug you right now?”
14. The Avoidance Eye Roll
15. The Dagger Eyes
16. The “Did you really think I’d be happy with silver?” Face
- The Trump administration is rolling back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting transgender students in public schools.
- An off-duty Los Angeles police officer was caught on cellphone video firing at least one shot during a confrontation with several teens.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Facebook is in negotiations with the Major League Baseball League to possibly stream one game per week during the 2017 season.