KCTV in Kansas City is reporting that at approximately 8 a.m. this morning a member of the Kansas City Chiefs shot and killed his girlfriend. (There have been some online reports saying that she is in critical condition, but Kansas City Police Department confirms to BuzzFeed Sports that she was killed.) He then drove to the team practice facility, and shot himself in the facility’s parking lot.
The Chiefs have released a statement confirming that there was an incident at Arrowhead Stadium this morning.
KCPD tells BuzzFeed Sports that the player pulled into the parking lot and parked “oddly” which raised the concerns of security. A group of coaches and team officials including general manager Scott Pioli went out to the lot and spoke with the player, who was holding a gun to his head. At that point the player thanked them for everything they’d all done for him. When police arrived on the scene they heard a gun shot.
4. CBS Sports’ Jason La Confora reports that the player involved is 25-year-old linebacker Jovan Belcher.
Officials from the KCPD have yet to release the identities of either the shooter or the victim, telling BuzzFeed Sports only that the shooter was a 25-year-old black man who plays for the Chiefs and the victim a black woman in her early 20s.
5. Belcher has been a Chiefs starting linebacker since 2009.
The motive for the shooting remains unclear.
Update: Pro Football Talk has multiple sources confirming it’s Belcher. KCPD is still waiting to release the identity to allow time to notify families.
Update 3: Though the KCPD has yet to release the victim’s name, Belcher’s girlfriend was reportedly Kassandra Perkins. The two had a child in September.
Members of Perkins’ family expressed their shock to TMZ.
Members of Kasandra’s family tell TMZ … Jovan and Kasandra always seemed to be in love. In fact, we’re told when Kasandra got pregnant, she and Jovan were “ecstatic.” The family says ever since the baby was born in September, the two couldn’t have seemed happier together.
We’ll update this story as more information becomes available.
- Here's how bankers are using a powerful, little-known justice system to turn a huge profit: part three of a BuzzFeed News investigation.
- Donald Trump says he's making a last-minute trip to Mexico today before his speech on immigration policy.
- Chris Brown has been released on a $250,000 bail after being arrested for assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly threatening a model at his home.