1. A few weeks ago at a high school football game in Ohio, St. Clairsville was comfortably beating their rival Edison when they handed the ball off to senior star running back (and future Michigan Wolverine) Michael Ferns.
2. Ferns, who had already scored 11 touchdowns on the year, broke through the line, then broke multiple tackles.
3. It appeared Ferns was headed for number 12.
4. But then he stepped out of bounds at the one-yard-line.
5. The referees attempted to award him a touchdown, but St. Clairsville players argued that their back had stepped out of bounds, and refs acquiesced.
6. It was at that point that St. Clairsville’s coach Brett McLean called for freshman Logan Thompson to enter the game.
7. Thompson’s father had died of a stroke two days earlier. The freshman hadn’t played much on varsity and had never lined up at running back before. So McClean told him the play as simply as possible: “Just follow Ferns.”
8. And that’s exactly what Thompson did.
9. After the play Ferns and Thompson embraced.
10. And after the game Thompson took to Twitter to share the moment with his late father.
11. Watch the video here:
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈