1. On Friday night the Atlanta Braves played the St. Louis Cardinals in baseball’s first ever one-game Wildcard playoff round.
2. In the bottom of the 8th inning, with one out and two men on, the Braves were trailing the Cardinals 6-3 when Andrelton Simmons came to bat.
3. He hit a fly ball to left field. Cards shortstop Pete Kozma goes back for it, before letting it drop (thinking left fielder Matt Holliday had it).
4. That means the Braves have the bases loaded with one out, and the go-ahead run at the plate. Right? Dan Uggla thought so.
5. The Atlanta fans thought so.
6. Cards pitcher Mitchell Boggs thought so.
7. But wait… The umps rule that the infield fly rule was in effect! The batter’s out! That means two outs, men on second and third, instead of one out, bases loaded.
8. The infield fly rule is in place to prevent an infielder from allowing a ball that could be caught with an “ordinary effort” to drop to allow an easier double play for the defense (runners hold at their base until a pop is caught).
This ball OBVIOUSLY required far more than an “ordinary effort” to catch. It was moderately deep into left field.
10. Braves manager Fredi González was pissed.
11. The fans were so pissed that they threw bottles onto the field.
The game was delayed for nearly 20 minutes due to the fan outburst.
12. Braves legend Chipper Jones looked on, disappointed. The Braves would go on to lose, making this Chipper’s final game in the majors before his retirement.
13. The Braves would appeal the call, but their appeal was denied.
14. Watch the whole thing happen in video form:
- Rick Perry, who famously wanted to abolish the Energy Department, said at his confirmation hearing to lead the Energy Department he now rejects "recommending its elimination."
- Vladimir Putin has used KGB tactics to seize on a rift between the US and Turkey, an effort to expand Russia's influence and divide NATO.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, defended at his confirmation hearing using offshore tax shelters, saying it was an inevitable result of current tax codes.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸