1. This is Baylor’s Brittney Griner.
2. She’s an athletic freak of nature. She’s blocked more shots during her college career (748!) than anyone else (male or female) ever has.
The men’s block leader “only” amassed 564 blocks in his career.
3. She also is the first female basketball player to consistently dunk.
4. It’s awesome.
It’s long been known that whenever Griner left college, she would be the number one pick in the WNBA draft, an honor that this year falls to the Phoenix Mercury.
6. Except, Phoenix might not get Griner after all. Mark Cuban of the Dallas Mavericks is talking about drafting Griner into the NBA this June. And he sounds serious.
And he has a point. In the last 10 NBA drafts, only 68% of second round picks have even actually played in an NBA game. So if it’s a crapshoot, why not go for someone who has a chance to be a historic figure in sports? At the very least it will be awesome to see the 6’8” Griner get her shot.
8. What does Griner think about it?
9. Griner would be a trailblazer if this were to happen. In fact, she has something UNCANNY in common with another great American sports barrier-breaker.
It is fated. Make it happen, Cuban!
- More than 100 people are reportedly injured after a commuter train crashed into a New Jersey Transit station in Hoboken on Thursday morning.