Raw Vegan Chocolate Recipe:
Makes: Plenty for the family.
* 1 cup raw cacao butter or organic unrefined extra virgin coconut oil (or use a combination of both)
* 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (a bit more for a richer flavour or a bit less for a milder flavour)
* 3 tablespoons of maple syrup (add more or less depending on taste preferences).
* 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
* Melt cacao butter or coconut oil in a bowl sitting above a pot of boiling water on the lowest stove temperature (double boiler). If you are lucky enough to live in the tropics you can probably skip this step.
* Take off the heat and add in cacao powder and whisk to mix. Slowly add in maple syrup and sea salt to taste. Whisk quickly to ensure the sweetener mixes into the fats (oil/butter) or use a blender for this step.
* Pour into moulds or onto a tray and pop into the fridge or freezer to set and store. Keep in the fridge/freezer until consuming.
Variety is the spice of life:
The following flavour combinations will trick your Lindt-loving family into believing you bought it from a couverture chocolate shop.
Add a handful of fresh or frozen raspberries and 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes.
Vanilla, Fig and Cardamom:
Add 2-3 thinly sliced fresh figs, ½ teaspoon organic vanilla powder (or extract), ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom powder.
Add ½ cup chopped fresh Medjool dates and sea salt flakes.