1. At the American Music Awards in downtown Los Angeles Sunday night, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis won Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for The Heist.
Since they’re currently on tour, the two appeared via satellite from Miami, FL, where they were performing.
2. After thanking the fans for the honor, Macklemore brought up the issue of racial profiling.
3. Here’s the full text of Macklemore’s speech:
“Now that I’m sitting here in front of millions of people, I’d like to address something extremely important to me. I was talking to my friend before the show and he reminded me of a great Martin Luther King quote. He said, ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.’ And due to the fact that we are in Florida tonight accepting this award, I want to acknowledge Trayvon Martin and the hundreds and hundreds of kids each year that are dying due to racial profiling and the violence that follows it. This is really happening. These are our friends, our neighbors, our peers, and our fans, and it’s time that we look out for the youth and fight against racism and the laws that protect it.”
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.
- Nearly 70,000 people convicted of felonies but now on probation or parole are suing Louisiana for the right to vote.
- Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she'll accept FBI recommendations in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email servers.