Skip To Content

    Australians Are Losing Their Minds Over The Fact That Thickshakes Don't Exist Around The Rest Of The World

    Apparently, it's just an Australian thing.

    Look, times are tough. We're in lockdown, it's bloody freezing and my adult braces have been cutting into my cheek for the past couple of days. So, it's safe to say that I, like so many others, am in a particularly vulnerable state.

    A close up of a girl holding her two acrylic nails together very closely; the picture is captioned "I'm this close to losing it"

    Also, I know I'm being dramatic AF, so don't @ me.

    But, of course, life loves to throw you absolute curveballs at these moments. Today's shocker? That the word "thickshake" does not exist in the US.


    Yep, that's right. I was today years old when I learned that thickshakes are a purely Australian (and New Zealand) concept.

    It's even confirmed on Wikipedia.

    A dictionary definition of thickshake saying that it's from Australia and New Zealand and is a beverage consisting of milk and ice cream mixed together
    Wikitionary / Via

    *Not a trustworthy source, but hey — it's a good source of information from time to time.

    And there are countless tweets from both Americans and Australians alike discovering this wild difference between our two countries.

    In Australia they call milk shakes "thick shakes" and if you order a milk shake they're just going to bring you sweet milk.

    This is the most horrible cultural difference moment I've ever had

    Twitter: @scenik8

    @scenik8 thickshakes aren’t a worldwide thing??? wtf i always thought they came from america

    Twitter: @asukar0se

    Now, for my international friends reading this and wondering what the hell a thickshake is, let me explain.

    Rooster Teeth / Via

    In Australia, we have the universally known "milkshakes". To us, they are flavoured milk drinks that are on the thinner side, but still contain ice cream (one or two scoops max) and can be sipped through a straw with ease.

    A tall glass filled with chocolate milkshake
    Flickr: Osde8info / Via Flickr: osde-info

    They're also more frothy because they are thinner. 

    Then, we also have "thickshakes" and like the name suggests, these bad boys are real thiccccccccccc and heavy. They're made using the same ingredients, but will usually have a higher ratio of ice cream (three scoops plus).

    To drink these, you have to conjure up all your willpower and turn your mouth into a vacuum — because, as mentioned before, that shit is thick (but it tastes so good).

    A pepsi drink container filled with chocolate thickshake
    Flickr: Noodle / Via Flickr: noodle

    If you want to elevate the experience, you can even dip some hot chips in there. It's a solid, 10/10 combo that any Australian will vouch for.

    A hand dipping hot chips into a chocolate thickshake
    Facebook: McDonald's French Fries Dipped In A Chocolate Milkshake / Via Facebook: 357930168322792

    So, now my question is: What's the equivalent in the US? If you don't have "thickshakes"...are they all just called milkshakes? Because as I've explained, there's a difference.

    Please let me in the comments below. Yours sincerely, a concerned Australian who is learning more about the world everyday.

    Also, Aussies — did you know this and am I just late to the game?