29 Things To Help Make You More Comfortable While Playing Video Games
A cozy Twitch sweatshirt, blue light glasses, and thumb grips to make sure *nothing* gets in the way of you rescuing Princess Zelda.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A Twitch hoodie you can cozy up in and represent your favorite place to watch folks like Lando Norris, Tfue, and Ninja. It'll ensure you're nice and comfortable while playing your own games as well!
Promising review: "Great and simple design of Twitch logo. A little too snug around my arms (I’m a little more built but even in XL it’s kind of tight from the elbow to wrist). Appealing and stylish color of pastel pink is a great aesthetic to try to incorporate into your style." —Carlo
Get it from Amazon for $45 (available in unisex sizes XS–3XL and four colors).
2. A thin bar light that'll brighten your gaming area so you can happily continue to play hours and hours (AND HOURS) of World of Warcraft without your partner constantly telling you you're going to strain your eyes from gaming in the dark for too long.
Promising review: "It's a good option for a streamer that has an overhead camera that shows-off their custom keyboard, gaming mouse, or artisan desk mat. Highly recommended and for the price, it's worth every dollar you spend." —MarkusTechCorner
Get it from Amazon for $99+ (available in three sizes).
3. A Logitech G PRO Hero gaming mouse, a must-have for any gamer who is sick and tired of their hand cramping on them mid-game. Its lightweight design ensures it'll be super comfortable and durable.
In addition to being designed for comfort, this mouse features mechanical switches and a spring button tensioning system (for noobs: faster clicking speeds) that'll upgrade your gaming experience. It also has programming RBG lighting so you can match it to your set up's aesthetic.
Promising review: "I upgraded to this because I was having tracking issues with my old mouse while gaming. I play most games at a medium to low sensitivity so it's crucial I can move the mouse as fast as possible without losing accuracy and this mouse has delivered even better than expected, I can't get it to spin out even if I tried my hardest. I never knew true accuracy until I owned this mouse. As far as size and comfort it feels very good to me, it seems like my hand naturally conforms to the shape and size of the mouse." —Andrew tambio
Get it from Amazon for $49.99.
4. A seat cushion to prevent back pain on the days when you can't help but sit in the same spot for far too long because you’re thisclose to beating the main boss and don't want to risk losing momentum.
Promising review: "I am a gamer, so I sit on a hard gaming chair most of the day (even when not gaming — it has just become my normal everyday chair). I've tried sitting on pillows and blankets to soften the stress on my low back and bottom, but nothing has given me relief for longer than maybe a few hours. The second I got this cushion in the mail, I put it on my gaming chair and sat down. Instantly, I could tell the difference!" —Abbie Mattson
Get it from Amazon for $29.95.
5. A backlighting kit, perfect for anyone whose gaming screen is in your shared bedroom so your partner can turn off the overhead lights and get some shut-eye while you play 'til your heart's content.
Promising review: "Do you want to add lights to your monitor, television, or just around a display? Then this is the product for you! Multiple sizes, easy to use, and perfect to add that extra something to whatever it is your working on! Purchased mine for behind my computer monitor and the amount of light is perfect when playing games or using my computer at night as the red setting helps keep me from having a bright light going on. Also great to add when watching videos or movies as you can color-match the screen to add a new layer to your experience. For the price and quality, you can't beat it!" —Timothy S. Smith
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in four sizes).
6. A gooseneck mount you can attach to your headboard (or wherever!) and insert your device in so you kick back, relax, and unwind for a bit while also screaming at your friends/playing Fortnite.
This lil' gadget is compatible with phones, tablets, and the Nintendo Switch. So, no matter how you choose to relax after a busy day, it'll support you!
Promising review: "This is exactly what I was looking for. I had been wanting to play my Nintendo Switch in bed without having to hold up the entire console. This mount allows me to have the screen hover above my head while my arms and neck can relax. This is the ultimate in laziness and I love it. :)" —Michael K.
Get it from Amazon for $16.99.
7. A 24-inch curved monitor that'll make you feel like you've left your boring corner of the house and immersed yourself right into the world of your favorite game — and you won't have to squint to see if your enemies are approaching you.
Promising review: "This 24-inch curved VA panel looks really good after playing with the colors and settings. Buttery smooth 144 Hz is yours on either the DP (cable included) or HDMI 2.0 and it is amazing just like everyone says. The logo on the back glows red and the system menu is OK but not bad. The stand is very sturdy and has a good snug tilting mechanism. The bezels are a tad wider than you're led to believe but still not bad. It does have speakers but they are not great. There is only one screen protector and it peels off very easy. The other layer is the anti-glare layer. Everything but the stand is plastic but if $159 gets you a clean 24-inch curved, 144 Hz, 3ms, edge design, VA panel in a solid package then this is worth plugging into any budget gaming build." —Steven
Get it from Amazon for $211.06+ (available in two sizes).
8. Novelty socks that won't actually seem so silly when you're toes are nice 'n' toasty while you're getting reallllllly deep into video game speed runs on YouTube.
9. A pair of Modern Warfare-themed performance thumbsticks you can use to increase the comfort and grip on your PS4 or PS5 controller.
Promising review: "These are the third pair of KF I have owned, my second pair of the Galaxy. I will not play FPS games without them, they are that good. The increase my precision noticeably and they make long gaming sessions much more comfortable. The Galaxies are the best out of the four to five different models I've tried, the taller stick on the right really makes a difference for precision aiming, I'll never use both the same height again." —RedBird
Get them from Amazon for $14.99.
10. A steering wheel accessory for the Nintendo Switch that'll make you feel like a real racer and be a bit more supportive for your hands so you can truly crush all the kiddos in your life who *think* they have what it takes to be a Mario Kart Champion. Psh.
Promising review: "I bought this after watching a review on YouTube. This item allows my wife who has arthritis to play and enjoy Mario Kart. Normal controllers hurt her hands but the motion control and these wheels make the game enjoyable to play for her. The paddle buttons on top of the unit work very well." —Charles C Coogler III
Get it from Amazon for $11.19.
11. A set of "Palmeez" to help you get a better grip on and hopefully stop accidentally dropping your Joycons while playing aggressive workout games.
These special grips are designed to help gamers' Joycons fit more comfortably in their hands. I've personally incorporated Nintendo Fitness Boxing 2 into my workout routine and constantly live in fear that one day one of these controllers is going to fly right out of my clutches and directly into my TV. Excuse me while I place an order. Additionally, InnovationThreeD is a small business based in Utah that sells Nintendo Switch grip accessories.
12. A splurge-worthy mouse designed for serious esports gaming with special features — it's extremely lightweight, has programmable RGB lights, and is ambidextrous.
As my husband says, this mouse is "the best you can get for the money." Enough said.
Promising review: "The model D is everything you could ever want. If you want a lighter mouse to get those easier flicks, this is for you. One thing you need to know is that this mouse is an ergonomic mouse. That means this is for fingertip players. If you play claw while gaming this might not be for you." —Rowan
Get it from Glorious PC Gaming for $49.99 (available in two styles).
13. A pair of blue-light-blocking glasses, because if you're gaming as much as I think you are, you should definitely have a pair of these to help prevent eye strain.
Promising review: "These glasses are perfect for working on the computer, playing video games, and even watching movies! I love the pale pink color, they’re very feminine and fit my face just like I’d hoped. I recommend them for anyone who spends time on phones or computers." —Kelly Stagg
Get them from Amazon for $8.49+ (available in 13 styles).
14. A memory foam foot rest that'll provide pain relief caused by long periods of standing and sitting — great for any gamer or anyone who works from home (even more ideal if you're *both*).
Promising review: "Definitely helps with posture. We game for hours pretty often. Whether you sit at a desk at work or for gaming, school, whatever the case is: 10 out of 10 recommend this thing. It’s super comfortable and provides support for better posture for your legs, back, and shoulders." —Sarah
Get it from Amazon for $28.
15. A heated massager pillow you can add to your current computer chair to loosen up the knots you've acquired from sitting far too long.
Promising review: "I just received this and I LOVE it. It adequately relieved the knots in my neck, the base of my skull, and my legs. I'm going to try my feet also. I've been wanting something like this for quite some time and I'm thrilled with this product. This item definitely delivers. I highly recommend it. The price for this item given the relief provided is wonderful." —Stephanie T.
Get it from Amazon for $49.95.
16. A splurge-worthy gaming chair co-designed by Herman Miller and Logitech, so incredible you won't know how you ever lived without it — it was literally designed with science-backed ergonomics to ensure you'll experience the utmost comfort while sitting it in for hours (and hours, if we're being honest).
My husband had been complaining about back pain and his tendencies to slip into terrible posture habits while sitting at his desk. Now that he's working from home he's spending even MORE time in his computer chair (seriously like...13+ hours a day including working and gaming) which makes the investment in a serious chair feel a bit more justified. Since getting this chair he feels like he's sitting up straighter and not feeling stiff by the end of the day. He is forever talking about how comfortable this chair is and how much more his back feels supported since switching from his old chair. This chair is pricey but if you're someone who spends a lot of time sitting at a desk (like many of us these days) it's definitely worth it.
Get it from Herman Miller for $1,595.
17. An affordable gaming chair that's so comfortable you'll be able to happily destroy your character's life on The Sims for hours and hours without getting a sore back.
This chair was modeled after actual race car seats, and if that wasn't cool enough, it also features extra lumbar support. TBH I would probably just lounge in this on the daily even if I weren't playing a video game.
Promising review: "This is the best chair I have ever purchased. The price was a lower than others, but the quality is high and it is very comfortable. I really like the fact that I can raise the arms if I wish. I also like the way it looks — the green and black scheme goes great with my custom-built PC, keyboard, and mouse. I have had two lower back surgeries and the lumbar support is perfect and I can sit in this chair for many hours." —ultra55371d
Get it from Amazon for $109 (available in nine colors).
18. A game controller bath bomb, for when your body begins to protest against the extremely long gaming session you just had over the weekend. Drop it in the tub and climb in for a much-needed soak.
Are you ready, Player One? You're about to have the best bathing experience thanks to this lil' controller! It's made with ingredients like baking soda (gotta get that fizz-in), sunflower oil, avocado oil, and fragrance oil to create a unique bath you'll enjoy maybe just as much as you do when you beat your sister in Mario Kart. iBeautyGifts is a small business based in Castro Valley, California that sells fun bath bombs.
19. A gaming keyboard that features a customizable rainbow backlight and OmniPoint Adjustable Switches that'll make any gamer say, "Ooooh!"
Promising review: "I am extremely satisfied with this keyboard. Let me begin by saying I’m pretty picky when it comes to buying a keyboard. The SteelSeries provides equivalent, if not better, satisfaction to other keyboards I've owned within every click meanwhile maintaining a significantly more quiet sound in comparison to my previous. The color customization on the backlights are never ending with countless of combos and a fair variety of click animations. Overall, I would recommend anyone this keyboard if you are looking for a premium comfort, quality, and quietness." —Catherine Tagle
Get it from Amazon for $199.99.
20. A HyperX gaming headset you can count on to help you tune out your too-loud neighbors while also ensuring you're nice and comfortable thanks to its delightful memory foam padding.
This headset is lightweight, wireless, padded with memory foam, and will allow any gamer to communicate with their friends easily mid-game. Pretty sweet.
Promising review: "I've had these about six months now, and still love them and comment to myself about them all the time. Biggest reason why is obvious, because they're wireless. As many of us know growing up with wired headphones was always a pain with the cord getting in the way and such but wireless tech has come a long way. Besides just the wireless part, they are SUPER comfortable, sometimes I'll forget they are even on my head, they don't fit super tight which is REALLY nice, but tight enough that if you shake your head slightly they aren't going to fall off obviously. Getting up to do things and just leaving them on is just... nice. Sound quality is great, I had a pair of wired Hyper X headphones before these and i would say these are better. Battery life is also great, I leave the Hyper X Logo light off to have the best battery life possible and can go all day without having to recharge them. I will typically re-charge them every night, I am a videographer so I am on my computer quite a bit and also play a few games so needless to say I am in my headphones almost daily" —Colin McEvoy
Get it from Amazon for $103.99.
21. An adjustable monitor stand to make sure your monitor is perfectly aligned for all the hours you'll spend staring at your screen. Neck pain? Not today.
This monitor stand comes with column-style stackable legs, so you can choose the best height for your needs. Once you increase the height, you can use the extra space underneath for storage.
Promising review: "I have a corner desk with a lot of space but my monitor isn't adjustable, so my eyes were parallel with the top of the monitor. I wanted something to be able to bring the monitor up and look decent on the desk. This stand fits that bill perfectly, it is a simple, no-frills stand with no parts that can break easily and lots of space to fit your monitor and even put stuff underneath. " —Mike244
Get it from Amazon for $16.93+ (available in a pack of one or five).
22. A simple keyboard and mouse pad made of a cushy memory foam that'll support your precious wrists while you click, click, click for hours upon hours.
If you're going to spend hours upon hours at your computer, you might as well make your situation as comfy as possible. Made with memory foam and a non-skid rubber base, your wrist will feel pampered all day long.
Promising review: "My wrist was hurting so badly I could barely move it. I bought these pads and the pain went away within days. They are very comfortable. Soft enough to cradle your wrist, but firm enough to protect it from injury. I never realized just how hard I was pressing my wrist onto the table... there's a sizable impression on the pad every time I lift my wrist. A lot of pads are too firm to do anything for you, but this one is very soft and comfortable." —David J. Garcia
Get the two-piece set from Amazon for $14.76+ (available in five colors).
23. An under-desk stand with all the trimmings: a USB port, a stand for your watch, and a place to hang your headphones so you'll never find yourself fighting with your gadgets for desk space.
Tired of having a crowded workspace around your computer? Tidy up with some help from this stand. It has a spot for pretty much anything you'd have on your desk and features 3 USB charging ports.
Promising review: "I like to be well organized, and have a place for everything. The headphone stand filled the need for a convenient headphone/smartwatch charging spot that doesn't take up precious surface space or add to clutter. This handles both nicely. I currently have it under-hanging a bookshelf, and am thinking of getting another to hang inside the CPU door of my desk. This is a vast improvement over the tabletop headphone hangers, and the cord management feature warms my neat freak heart." —keygirl
Get it from Amazon for $24.99.
24. An electric standing desk you'll love because all you'll have to do is plug it in to reap the benefits of its ability to move up and down to your preference with a touch of a button — easy peasy.
My husband's number one thing he lamented over when we entered quarantine was how much he missed his office's standing desk. When we had the chance to receive this one to test out he was thrilled. It was sooooo easy to put together — only a handful of steps! Even the most technologically challenged person could use this without stress. You plug it in and *BOOM* it's ready to go. He loves shifting between sitting and standing all day now that we're working from home all the time.
Promising review: "The desk is beautiful and more sturdy than I expected. Assembly is super easy, with only three steps. I chose the reclaimed wood top to match my office decor and it matches perfectly. I stand most of the day now and haven't had a neck ache since. I highly recommend Vari products for quality, customer service, speed of delivery, and easy of assembly. I LOVE my electric standing desk" —Tammy V
Get it from Vari for $595 (available in five wood styles).
25. An essential oil diffuser that'll make your room smell like the soothing yoga studio you vowed to go to once a week but never found the time to because you'd rather spend 20 hours playing Animal Crossing.
This diffuser has a whopping 52.4K 5-star reviews from VERY pleased Amazon customers. If that isn't a sign to pick this up, what is? You might as well go ahead and add this set of essential oils to your cart while you're at it (lavender is my personal favorite).
Promising review: "This is a really great diffuser, especially for a first timer like myself. It's small and simple and also succeeds in freshening up my entire room. The 30-second burst is great at keeping your space feeling and smelling great throughout the day, while the continuous mode lasts for about six hours so I keep it on while I'm sleeping. Overall, a really great and inexpensive diffuser!" —Pascal Ibe
Get it from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in four styles).
26. A mug warmer, so your tea won't get cold when you inevitably get wrapped up taking pics of adorable creatures in Pokémon Snap.
Promising review: "I'm a chronic coffee forgetter. I can't drink it straight from the brewer (too hot for me) so I set my mug down to cool slightly and often get distracted. Of course I then come back to my coffee to find it's already cold. I've currently got the warmer at my office and it's working great. I can sip my coffee leisurely over the course of an hour and it's still nice and warm." —Elle
Get it from Amazon for $10.99
27. A personal fan you'll be forever grateful for after moving into an apartment where you don't have control of your heat — and that's *before* factoring in the heat your computer seemingly gives off.
Promising review: "I live in Texas and when it's 110 degrees Fahrenheit outside, my AC can't always keep my room at 72 degrees with my PC gaming at full blast. The result is sweaty hands, which I can't stand. I tried all sorts of remedies to reduce hand sweat, but the simple answer is just a little fan pointed at my controller. This fan. It has a nice firm clip to hold it on the edge of my desk, and it has a tilt/swivel mount that lets me point it exactly where I need it. It's sturdy, with a nice 'clicky' motion to the swivel adjustment. It stays where it's put, and it doesn't feel like I'll break it just by adjusting the angle. I also like that it has two speeds. The low speed is nice to aim at my face when the room is warm. I can't hear it at all, and it makes a pleasant, gentle breeze. High speed is audible but not loud, and you feel it. That's what I use to keep my thumbs dry during a game. Couldn't recommend this fan more highly." —E. Burgess
Get it from Amazon for $15.19 (available in five colors).
28. A backrest cushion that'll keep you propped up in a more sustainable position so you can play Mario & Sonic's Olympics while watching the *real thing* in bed at the same time.
Promising review: "I bought this to use on our bed, mostly for gaming. But also for watching a show with my wife, and being in a comfortable position without nodding off. It's perfect. It arrived in a shrunken form. But once I worked the inside, breaking up the memory foam, it only took a few hours to be ready to go. It's super comfortable and I no longer have to lay flat or sit in uncomfortable positions while gaming." —Michael C. Kaledas
Get it from Amazon for $32.99.
29. A Theragun mini, ideal if you often find yourself slumped over and sitting in weird positions while indulging in your favorite video games.
I have one of these bad boys and it has honestly been a game-changer. When I posted on my Instagram that I had received one, the responses I got were WILD. People are PASSIONATE about this gadget and now I understand why. I've used it on the arches of my feet and have way less pain than ever before. The nozzle at the end contracts at a high speed (think, a tiny punching machine) that surprisingly doesn't hurt but leaves your body buzzing in a good way. In my opinion, it's worth the money and it actually does work.
Promising review: "I received a Mini as a gift from my daughter last Christmas and LOVE it. It helps my sore muscle, aches and pain a great deal. It’s small, light weight and not noisy, I take it every where I go. Bought one recently as a gift to my brother for his birthday so we can spread the love and help his aching body." —Po W.
Get it from Therabody for $199 (available in four colors).