1. Lykke Li may never learn when it comes to love, but that’s okay…
Lykke Li’s new album I Never Learn is a very literal break-up record, with songs like “Sleeping Alone” and “Never Gonna Love Again.” The title track embodies the darker heartache some break-ups bring. Lykke Li croons, “I never learn, I never learn,” and it’s a totally universal sentiment.
2. …because First Aid Kit is here to keep the optimism high.
Although not overtly about splitting up, First Aid Kit’s new song “My Silver Lining” is a moving-on anthem. For being Swedish, the duo has a surprisingly old-school Americana country sound, which only makes this song about “not taking the easy road” out of past regrets and pain more eligible to be a classic.
3. And Icona Pop knows that break-ups can actually be totally freeing!
If there are two Swedish pop stars who don’t bother with post-break up sadness, it’s the duo Icona Pop. Their righteous 2012 hit “I Love It” made it big in America and tackles a romantic falling out with fun. Broken heart? So what! Throw his shit into a bag and push it down the stairs.
4. Like, so freeing that you’ll want to move to Paris with Little Dragon.
Little Dragon’s recent song “Paris” embodies the feeling of not knowing what to do after a break-up. As singer Yukimi Nagano wonders aloud if a move to Paris will change her mood for good, she sings to a non-present ex: “A part of me drifts away with you and will never return.”
5. And if anyone knows when a relationship is over, it’s Agnes.
Her 2012 song “One Last Time” is a dance floor-worthy track about the moment you realize you’re going to break-up rather than the wallowing that may follow. When Agnes lists off the ways she messed things up, it’s a powerful release.
6. The Knife also know how quickly love can slip away.
The group’s 2003 synth-pop classic “Heartbeats” is about a relationship that could have been. It tells the story of a short-lived relationship’s inevitable end, and how easily your heart tricks you into thinking you’re in love.
7. Jens Lekman can help you figure out whether or not you’re in a shitty relationship.
His 2012, break-up-inspired song “I Know What Love Isn’t” may sound cheery on first listen, but its lyrics reveal a much more cynical tone. “A relationship doesn’t lie about its intentions and shit,” Lekman sings, telling the truth.
8. And Say Lou Lou know what it’s like to be made a fool of.
Featuring Aussi singer Chet Faker as a cold, emotionless ex and Swedish group Say Lou Lou as the dumpee, Say Lou Lou’s 2013 song “Fool Of Me” plays out like a mini soap opera that you just happen to overhear.
9. And when it’s time for healing, Robyn attacks heartbreak with dance…
A song that both embodies the perverse feeling of wanting to scope out who you’re ex’s new significant other is and gain confident independence, Robyn’s “Dancing On My Own” is a perfect break-up track from her 2010 album Body Talk. “I’m giving it my all, but I’m not the girl you’re taking home,” sings Robyn desperately as she watches her beau kiss a new “friend.” And how does she cope with that situation? She keeps dancing.
10. …as does Niki & The Dove, whose knows a good DJ is the best therapist.
On this trippy 2012 song, “DJ, Ease My Mind,” Niki disappears on the dance floor, asking the DJ to “play that song again, cause we were in love.”
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯