for 4 servings
2 large sweet potatoes, or 3 small, scrubbed
½ medium red onion
15 oz chickpeas, 1 can, rinsed and drained (425 g)
½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
¼ cup lemon juice (60 mL)
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
3 oz mixed greens (85 g)
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (10 g)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (10 g)
dried cranberries, for garnish, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
2. Cut the sweet potatoes in small cubes and transfer on one half of a non-stick baking sheet.
3. Peel and slice the onion and set aside.
4. Add the chickpeas to the other half of the baking sheet.
5. In a liquid measuring cup with a pour spout, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix well.
6. Pour half of the dressing over the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and mix with your hands until well-coated. Keep the chickpeas and sweet potatoes separated as much as possible.
7. Scoot the chickpeas toward the sweet potatoes and add the onions to the baking sheet. Make sure everything is spread out evenly.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Use tongs to stir halfway through. Let cool for 20 minutes.
9. Place the greens in a large bowl. Top with the roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and onion.
10. Add the parsley, cilantro, and remaining dressing and toss to combine.
11. Top with dried cranberries, if using.