26 Menswear Items That'll Help You Return To Campus In Style
Because you've been wearing the same T-shirt and shorts for the past year.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A packable puffer jacket you can fold into a little carrying bag which makes dressing for the weather easier than ever—no matter how drastically the temp fluctuates throughout the day.
Promising review: "This jacket is super light and warm and comfortable. It fits as expected and is true to size. There is room to layer underneath but the jacket does not look or feel oversized either. The fit looks very much like it does on the model. Perfect for Northern California winters. The style and material is attractive. Very happy with this jacket." —Memly
Get it from Amazon for $43.54+ (available in S-XXL and 23 colors).
2. A long-sleeve waffle knit shirt with elastic cuffs and a straight hem that make it perfect for layering under a vest or flannel.
4. A plaid flannel shirt that's just heavy enough—meaning you can rock it on its own or use it as an ultra-warm, cold-weather layer.
Promising review: "Rarely do I take the time to write reviews, however, when a product blows me away and pleasantly surprises me the way this shirt did, I have to. Back in the '90s I used to collect Eddie Bauer flannels and loved them and their quality. However, their quality has deteriorated and their shirts are not what they used to be (while the cost has risen). Flannels are supposed to be roomy and you shouldn't have to buy one or two sizes larger. Plus flannel should be thick and warm, not thin. Well this flannel addresses all those points and met the highest of expectations at an affordable price. Will be ordering more now." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes S-5XL including tall sizes and 21 patterns/colors).
5. A Levi's jean jacket for those days when you wanna wear a graphic tee, but it's just a little too chilly out to bare your arms. Plus you can layer it up with a zip-up hoodie (like the one in 21).
Promising review: "Fifty years ago, this was the classic denim jacket for guys and it still is today. It is lightweight to wear in all seasons—over a T-shirt on a summer night, over a sweater on a winter afternoon. Many people want their denim jacket to fit like a snug, tight shirt. I prefer a looser fit to wear over a thick sweater. I like the loose/long fit so I wash the jacket in cold water and line dry." —alanhouston
Get it from Amazon for $28.93+ (available in sizes XS-6XL including big & tall sizes and 42 colors/washes).
6. Or, a sherpa-lined denim jacket for a cold-weather take on the classic cowboy staple. 🤠
Promising review: "Good jacket for fall/winter. I would say this is an essential piece for any wardrobe. Not too heavy, not too light. Good for everyday use especially in the colder months. You can easily put this jacket on over a hoodie and it won’t add too much weight like some jackets. The only thing is that it restricts your movement around the arms a little bit but I understand it has to be worn in so it will fit much looser. Overall a solid piece. Can’t go wrong with Levi’s." —Wayne De Leon
Get it from Amazon for $37.36+ (available in sizes XS-3X, including big & tall sizes, and 13 washes).
7. A soft fleece hoodie that is likely to become your all-time, always-on favorite (don't just take my word for it, the review below is pretty convincing).
Promising review: "Some would say I'm a world-renowned hoodie connoisseur. To that I would agree. I've obtained hoodies from across the globe, yet none have surprised me like this one. I was hunting for a hoodie to add to the collection and lo and behold, I came across this one. I scoured numerous reviews, each one adamant about the softness of the pullover. A hoodie couldn't be that soft right? Wrong. I sat eagerly in my chair as the doorbell rang. I did the mad dash towards the doorknob and I viciously tore it open. I grabbed the package with force and I slammed it on the table. As my hand gripped the sleeve I couldn't believe it. I do not know how Gap managed to do it, but I'm convinced that they asked God himself for a piece of heavenly cloud. This is the softest material on a hoodie I've ever come across, and I've been globetrotting for hoodies like Indiana Jones. As I put the hoodie on it clung to me like Peter Parker in the Venom suit. It made me feel warm and safe, like a New York coffee shop on a rainy Tuesday. All in all, I would highly recommend this hoodie." —sailboat4
Get it from Gap for $24.99+ (originally $54.95; available in sizes XS-XXXL including tall sizes, and 10 colors)
8. A full-zip fleece vest you can wear as a top layer when it's just a little chilly outside, or as a base layer when the time comes to truly bundle up.
Promising review: "This vest popped up and for the price and ability to try it and return it if I don't like it, what the heck. Well, I have to say I was surprised at the quality of the material, the quality of the construction and the fit. They had the color I wanted (forest green) and the color matched what I thought it would be. I've been wearing the vest since it arrived a couple days ago and so far, it's comfortable and warm." —Trebor
Get it from Amazon for $15.77+ (available in sizes XS-XXL and 19 colors/patterns).
9. A pair of skinny-fit stretch jeans you'll be rocking day in and day out.
10. A reviewer-beloved garment-dyed T-shirt that, hands down, will be the comfiest thing you've ever slipped over your shoulders. A fair warning: you're gonna want to cop one in every color (there's 15).
11. Or, a Carhartt pocket T-shirt to round out the workwear-inspired wardrobe you've been curating over the past few months.
These T-shirts are high quality and ultra-durable; they're literally made for people working in the toughest conditions.
Promising review: "These shirts are perfect! Great quality for a great price and are also shipped well. I’ve bought several of these and will continue to buy more. They also are very durable and last for a long time. Great working shirts or just nice T-shirts." —Kristenw329
Get one from Amazon for $15.99+ (available in sizes S-5X, including tall sizes, and 24 colors).
12. A Champion crewneck sweatshirt in an ultra-soft cotton fleece that'll quickly become your go-to sporty layer.
13. A pair of classic shades that'll polish off even the simplest and laziest of looks. BUT—more importantly—they'll also help you avoid awkward eye contact with that person you met freshman year but haven't spoken to since. 😬
Promising review: "I love these sunglasses and you can tell they're legitimately polarized. They're lightweight and I've gotten compliments from people saying they look like Ray-Ban Clubmasters! As a Ray-Ban owner in the past who lost or broke them, these are an incredible alternative. The price and style are unbeatable!" —Skylar S.
Get them from Amazon for $12.99.
14. A pair of sneakers that look an awful lot like that trendy New Zealand brand, but are only a fraction of the price.
15. A fresh pair of joggers because after wearing your current ones for all of last year, you're definitely in need of an upgrade.
Promising review: "Pants are incredibly soft and are of nice quality. They fit me perfectly—they are not too tight or baggy. Length is just enough so they stack at your ankles and have a snug taper at the bottom. Would compare these to Adidas/Nike level-quality pants." —A
Get them from Amazon for $15.24+ (available in sizes S-3XL and 22 colors).
16. A pair of Birkenstocks that you can easily slip on in the mornings with your sweats for that dreaded 8am class. And yes, you can rock them with socks too. Don't @ me.
Promising review: "These were perfect for a muddy music festival weekend! Fit like every pair of Birkenstocks I've ever worn and could be quickly rinsed off as often as necessary. The footbed even gave pleasantly as I walked, almost like the cork I'm used to. It remains to be seen how long they'll last, but at a fraction of the price of traditional Arizonas, I won't mind if they don't last as long. These have already proven themselves a good investment." —Mark H.
Get it from Amazon for $29.34+ (available in women's and men's sizes 5-15 and 23 colors).
17. A pair of chinos for those days when you want to be a *little* put together. These work with everything from dress shirts to hoodies, which is exactly the kind of versatility your campus closet needs.
Promising review: "Normally when I buy my husband slacks, I am unable to find a short length and have to hem them. These slacks look like they were tailor-made for him and we will be buying more of them in the future. These are very quality slacks and I would highly recommend." —Dennis B.
Get them from Amazon for $22.60+ (available in sizes 28x28-42x34 and nine colors).
18. A pair of gym shorts with zipper pockets that are as great for lounging as they are for actually working out in.
19. And an athletic shirt because why not upgrade your entire workout wardrobe so you look fresh at the campus gym.
Promising review: "For the price you can’t beat it! Bought one to try and loved the way it fit—it fits just right. Even after washing and drying there is not much shrinkage. I love wearing it for working out and just wearing in general. They aren’t too thin and aren’t too thick. Everything fits as expected." —Alan
Get it from Amazon for $6.53+ (available in sizes S-4XL and 24 colors).
20. A mid-weight crewneck sweater that'll keep you warm and cozy on crisp fall days as you groggily make your way from class to class.
Promising review: "My fiancé bought this sweater to wear to our engagement party. It fit him perfectly! Great looking sweater for the price. I did have to wash it with a little extra fabric conditioner because it felt a bit scratchy coming right out of the package, but after that it was great." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $5.60+ (available in sizes XS-XXL and 13 patterns/colors).
21. A classic zip-up hoodie you'll be reaching for again and again and again. Nothing beats a worn-in and well-loved zip-up.
Promising review: "Very well made. Thick, plush, and warm. I bought the same product in a different color three years ago and wear it as a 'work' jacket. It’s still in great shape. I would highly recommend this sweatshirt." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $14.16+ (available in sizes XXS-XXL and 22 colors).
23. A casual henley perfect for autumn layering—especially because it comes in both long- and short-sleeves. Who knows what surprises this year's weather will bring...
24. A fleece sweatshirt so soft and comfy, your roomies will probs start stealing it when you're not around.
Promising review: "I love this sweatshirt! It fits perfectly and is so comfortable.
The fleece is light, keeping you warm while not making you overheat. It's awesome! The only thing is that it looks really freaky when it's hanging on the back of my door after I turn my lights off at night. I feel like it's looking at me. I saw it move on its own a couple times. Like it was reaching out, you know? I sleep with a fan on, so it could have been that. I don't know. Anyway, it's a great sweater and I would recommend it to anyone!" —V. Slentz
Get it from Amazon for $15.74+ (available in sizes XS-XXL and 31 colors).
25. A classic button-down Oxford you can rock in a multitude of ways. Leave it buttoned for when your parents come to visit, or wear it open over a graphic T-shirt during the week with the sleeves rolled up. I'll go as far to say that this shirt has greater prospects than most of your classmates. 🙃
Promising review: "This shirt is quite simply one of the best shirts I've ever owned. It looks good, feels great and fits perfectly. I have this in a few different colors and it makes getting dressed easy." —DordimusRoc
Get it from Everlane for $75 (available in sizes XS-XXL, including tall sizes, and five colors).
26. A face mask that you can wear proudly knowing it's not sacrificing the quality of your 'fit, AND is helping to keep people safe. This one's made with vegetable-dyed, hand-printed cotton that's soft on the skin and features a built-in, aluminum nose clip.
Type Of Fit: Elastic ear loops
Pocket For Filter: No
Fabric Type: Cotton
Shipping Time: Standard shipping
Get it from Corridor for $20 (originally $25).